Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting correctly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aikka

Aikka

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

I have no idea if my computer is salvageable, but I thought it'd be worth a shot to post on here to see if someone can help.

I have a 3 year old Windows 7 Lenovo laptop.  On boot, the computer shows the Lenovo logo and starts up.  The screen is black for about 10-25 seconds, flashes a boot message about failing to boot the wifi card (a residue effect from when someone tried to fix it several years ago), and then is black for another 10-15 seconds before showing what I believe is the multi boot menu?

The screen has two tabs to choose from, the Boot Menu and the App Menu.  Each menu has two options:

Boot Menu

1.  ATAPI CD: Optiarc DVD RW-AD7710H

2.  Network Boot: Realtek PXE B02 D00

Selecting either of these options results in the black screen->wifi card boot screen->black screen->boot menu loop to play again.

App Menu

1.  Setup

2.  Diagnostic Splash

Selecting 2 repeats throught he same cycle choosing anything from boot menu gives me.  Setup takes me to the setup menu, where I can see my computers information and mess some configuration I won't pretend to understand, along with the boot order.

I have tried rearranging the boot order in multiple different ways at someone's suggestion, to no success.

The current boot priority order is:

1.  ATAPI CD

2.  Network Boot

3.  USB FDD:

4.  ATA HDD:

5.  USB HDD:

6.  USB CD:

I have also tried resetting the list to default with no success.  Pressing F8 at start up does nothing.

On the day it had broken, I had factory reset my computer and had only installed a few programs (skype, some antivirus called panda, and chrome), but had forgotten something REALLY important, sadly.  My computer has a pretty bad error built in where going from sleep mode to hibernate mode, it crashes every time.  Never figured out why it did this, but I forgot to disable sleep mode.  When I left my computer alone and fell asleep, it crashed while I was sleeping, which is likely what broke the system.

After speaking with a coworker about the issue, I noticed a faint whirr-CLICK was coming from my computer, and he suggested replacing the hard drive, which I did today.  It appears to have made a modicum of difference, as the computer does not make the sound anymore when booting (although I can hear a very faint beeping noise coming from it now) and a small display message shows when starting the computer (stating I can press f2 or f12 for start-up options, which was not showing when I had the old hard drive in).

I have no idea what to do now!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 carlosayon

carlosayon

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

It would seem that your hard drivers got damaged or that it was not connected properly. For dealing with this type of situations I always recommend getting a local technician, but if you are willing to open your computer, well that's a risk you take. 

The hard drive is the device used to save all of your information, including the Operating System, since you have replaced your hard drive. Your information is gone along with your Operating System, at this point it will be necessary to reinstall it. If your computer came with a DVD for the operating system then you will be lucky, if not, you will have to buy one, or download an image, and purchase an original license key. 

#3 Aikka

Aikka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

I see, that makes sense.  Unfortunately, I was not a lucky enough duck to get an install disk with the laptop, so purchasing  a new OS seems to be my only solution.

I already had all my information saved on an external memory device since I had just reset the computer, so at least I don't have to worry about that.  Thank you for the quick response!

#4 carlosayon

carlosayon

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

It's my pleasure. If there's any other information you need, just let me know :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users