Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fonts folder causes Windows 98 to freeze. Even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

I was having freezing issues while trying to remove some fonts to install new versions of them. These are all fonts that I edited for character dialogues and stuff. so I tried to start Windows 98 in safe mode to do so, I got a quarter of the way done before a freeze, and ctrl alt del tells me the system is unstable. I ctrl alt del again to restart, (back in safe mode) but now Windows 98 freezes in just a matter of 20 seconds, on every opening of the font folder. safe mode or not, same freeze.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:10 PM

Do you have a backup of the fonts folder prior to the modifications?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

I found out I have a very complex font in there that was eating resources. I found out about it because as I was troubleshooting an Android app, I was told to send font files to the developer of the app and he said it really slows down the app because of tiny lightning lines going through the letters. it was the same font

#4 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

Might be that Windows 98 is old enough to be changed. Aren't you interested with the latest OS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users