Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP to Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

I was useing Windows XP since it first came out,basically on the same PC.After 12 years my PC finally gave out,so I had to buy a new PC that came with Windows 8.1

I was suprised at how different the two are,and I am still trying to figure everything out

With my old PC I fought off a lot of viruses and Malware, doing that I, learned a lot about where everything was and how most of the Windows programs worked and what to look for to avoid infection.

I read the tutorial section and either didnt see it or it wasnt there, so I  decided to start this thread.

On Xp I used Avast,and I believe its a very good anti virus

With 8.1 should I install it? or is the Windows defender system good enough?

Malwarebytes saved me on XP on many different occasions from viruses. I see there is something simular to it in windows

Should I install it on 8.1?

I used to use a program called C Cleaner as well..................?

This New PC runs with 64 bits as apposed to my old one that had 32.

I downloaded Gimp, not thinking much about it,and noticed it said something about being for a 32 bit system, but it still seems to work

I was useing my old PC for so many years,I never gave it much thought, but am wondering what the difference is? Why do you have to download different programs for 32 bits or 64 bits?

I once read where someone was trying to help someone remove a virus, but there wasnt anything He could do because He had a 64 bit system?

Whats better a 32 bit or a 64?

My last really stupid question is, I bought a new tower, It has no fans and makes no noise at all, and amazingly throws off no heat.

My old one could heat a small garage, is this normal with New Pcs?

Anyway I know you guys think these are silly questions but would be very helpful...........Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

Hello - Several answers as I went from Windows XP to 7 to (currently) 8.1

1.  On Xp I used Avast,and I believe its a very good anti virus - Yes .... but any version after Win 8 now has Defender (a beefed up M.S.E. installed already)

If you do choose to install any other Antivirus, Defender will "stand aside" while that program runs.

2 . See above as I only use Defender, but there are "better" purchased versions (how deep are your pockets after the computer purchase)

3. Malwarebytes saved me on XP on many different occasions from viruses. I see there is something simular to it in windows

Should I install it on 8.1? - YES, unless you have one of the other Top Line Antimalware programs in mind (it is not Antivirus)

4. I used to use a program called C Cleaner as well.... In the Default (as downloaded) version just open it and click Run Cleaner. There are other uses, but not for those who question the program ..

5. This New PC runs with 64 bits as apposed to my old one that had 32. - Most now run 64bit systems to make better use of programs.

6. I downloaded Gimp, not thinking much about it,and noticed it said something about being for a 32 bit system, but it still seems to work - Quite a few programs select your system on download. Don't worry

7. I was useing my old PC for so many years,I never gave it much thought, but am wondering what the difference is? Why do you have to download different programs for 32 bits or 64 bits?

As above, but some programs basically prefer you to select 32 or 64bit systems.

8. I once read where someone was trying to help someone remove a virus, but there wasnt anything He could do because He had a 64 bit system? ??????? Never heard that one ! !

9. Whats better a 32 bit or a 64? .. See 5. but it tends to make better use of the system.

10 .My last really stupid question is, I bought a new tower, It has no fans and makes no noise at all, and amazingly throws off no heat.

My old one could heat a small garage, is this normal with New Pcs?

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy and Paste the link)

11. Anyway I know you guys think these are silly questions but would be very helpful.....If you are not sure it is never a silly question (we have all asked the same question in some way)

I "hogged the question", but I will also follow your answers

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

Thanks Noknojon!

Ok I will stay away from installing Avast but I did install Malwarebytes and it already got rid of something called glass bottle, that had a lot of Pups with it.

8. Back in the days when Myspace had a forum, there was a guy who helped people just like BC does

They would run a Hijack this log, and I remember him telling the people with 64 bits that He couldnt help them with something, but that was back  when a lot of people still had the old XP 32 bit systems

Anyway I went looking and I guess this isnt a very powerful computer, even though it has three times the memory and speed my old one did, so what they consider not powerful now, still beats what I had 1 GB ram, now I have 4 and a much faster proccesor

The only things I dont like is Windows 8.1 and the keyboard that came with it. But I am sure I will be OK with it after I have used it for a while

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

I was not happy with Windows 8 / 8.1, so I downloaded

The latest stable version 4.2.1 can be downloaded from here:
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (English)
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (French)
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (German)
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (Italian)
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (Polish)
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (Russian)
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (Traditional Chinese)
Classic Shell 4.2.1 (Simplified Chinese)

The latest version is also available on the FossHub.com mirror.

Do not know your version  installed language (I assume U.S.A. or Canada by time zone (mine is Australia)

From there I have attempted to run this like an XP or Windows 7 system.

Sorry (I am having lunch at the moment)

#5 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Thats OK

I will take it like a Man and try to learn this system the best I can before the New 10 comes out

BTW I just bought this PC with 8.1 installed, But it came with No CD or hardly any pamplets. It had one to show where everthings plugged in

Thats all I got

What do they expect you to do, if for some reason you need to Reload windows or if you need to fix a corrupt driver?

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

By the way being I got No disc or directions, What do I look for, to know or not If this PC is WIFI compatable?

Nothing written on the box

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

>> What do I look for, to know or not If this PC is WIFI compatable? << It usually is -

Do you have a decent Internet Service Provider that you can talk to ??

I just ring mine, and they show / tell me all the correct settings, and walk me through setting things up.

Includes my wifes Kindle, as well as this 8.1 ... I figure you pay them for Service, and that is what I expect..

We can "Walk you through it" here, but I prefer to be sure -

Regards -

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Did you run the Windows 8.1 upgrade assistant?

Edited by dc3, 07 June 2015 - 11:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

The make and Model is,Acer AXC-603G-UW13

It is an inexpensive model,So after looking around at different web sites, I am pretty sure it doesnt have WIFI compatibility

I looked at the device manager and there wasnt anything listed there having to do with WIFI

You get what you pay for and thats somthing I didnt get. But its still better than what I had

The reason I wanted to know is, becaause Xfinity sent me a wireless router a few months ago, and thought it would be nice to get rid of the cable I have stretching all around the room

Here is a real problem I am having that maybe you or someone can help me with

I use files and move them around a lot

XP used to have  on the left side, Move to...... and a copy to........

In Windows 8 I am haveing a difficult time doing this

For example, I use gimp and sometimes download plugins for it. I unzip the folder and need to send it to a specific place

In XP all I had to do is, Click on Move to, or copy to, and then the file I wanted it moved to.....Easy

I am having a very difficult time with this. Is there something I am missing?

I read through the list of tutoreals posted at the top of this forum and didnt find anything

I read through tutoreals on the Windows site

I  must be missing something simple or just not seeing it

But its really frustrating for what should be a simple task

Any suggestions would be appreciated

#10 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:51 AM

Be sure to remove whatever Internet Security Suite came with the system, e.g. Norton, McAfee, etc...

Use the appropriate removal tool - http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

Re-enable Windows Defender/MSE - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/4976-re-enable-windows-defender-windows-8-aka-mse-windows-7-vista.html

Look in the owner's manual -- there are instructions for you to burn a set of recovery disc(s).  You'll need 1 or 2 DVD-R DVDs.  There may even be an option on the desktop or try Search for "Recovery" - look for ~ "create recovery discs/media"

Zip extraction - double-click on the zip; up-top, look for "Extract"; select location.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users