Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Clean Up And Defraggmenter Freeze Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 olkyhippy

olkyhippy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

when i try to do a disk clean up or deffragment the disk clean up displays 3 bars and freezes up and the defraggment gos to 1 percent and freezes up when i click cancel and try to do them again they wont even display any ideas ive tryed booting in safe mode but still the same :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

We are going to need some system information like processor, speed, ram etc to try and figure this out.

Right now if I were to make a guess I would say it is either a memory problem or a heat problem.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

Have you tried to do this in Safe Mode?
How much free disk space do you have? Defragging generally requires around 15 percent of your drive to be empty so it can use it for temporary storage.
When was the last time you defragged?
Are you talking, also, about the Windows disk cleanup utility?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 olkyhippy

olkyhippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:21 PM

sorry for the slow reply my computer is a compac sr1603wm ---sempron prosseser 3200+1.8ghz---hard drive 80gb 7200rpm memory256mb my computer is only 3mths old yes i have tried to do the disk clean up and defragg in safe mode does the same thing ihave been doing the matienance at least once a week till now . i also lost my speakers about the same time when i go into control panel it tells me no audio devices installed would this have any thing to do with my other problems thanks for the replys. :thumbsup:

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:22 AM

Ok when you say freezes up... does it freeze up? or does it just seem like it. Whenever something is doing a defrag or a scandisk it checks the disk and it will seem to freeze when really it's just being slow. Just sit there, leave the computer for an hour or two and come back. If it stays the same then it's freezing. If not then problem solved.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

olkyhippy:

Further to what Gyro suggested...if you continue to have problems in both safe and regular mode, maybe you could try to run a hard disk diagnostic test. If you know the make/model of your hard disk, we can point you to the proper disk diagnostic test.

This will rule out that the issue a failing hard disk.
JC

#7 olkyhippy

olkyhippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

gyro yes i have tryed letting it set for along period of time when it freezes up in both normal and safe mode but still the same disc clean up will start and display 3bars and freeze and defragg will only go to 1percent and freeze if i click cancel and try to run them again they wont even appear on the screen i have to reboot to even get them to appear on screen again.------- joshuacat im not sure about the hard drive name only that it is 80 gb 7200 rpm my mother board is amberinem-gl6e . computer works fine other than these problems except for my speakers they seem to have quite at the same time . :thumbsup:

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:00 AM

Can you tell what part of your computer it is scanning before it freezes? It may be virus related. Check out this site's virus tutorials for more info on that. We are going to assume that it isn't related to that however, and instead i'll ask if you have a boot disk that you could enter dos with? If not, an easier way is to go to your start folder go to your programs go under accessories and enter the command prompt, once in the command prompt type in chkdsk. If you find a boot disk, do the same with that. I suggest both, because if it's viral it may freeze if windows is running. After this is done, tell us if you have discovered anything new.

#9 olkyhippy

olkyhippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

hey guys i finally got a chance to do the last suggestion i went to command promp typed in chkdsk it did a scan it found several problems so it told me to type in chkdsk/f <fix> i did this and it ran the program it then shut down and when it booted back up every thing works great disk cleanup and defragg are working great thanks to everyone for helping me with my problem maybe i can help some one some day :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users