Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Dirty Install -- needs tutorial

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Is there a tutorial for a Windows 7 Professional [I own the MS blue 64 & 32-bit set] "dirty install?"
Or, is there a thread with the quick steps?
Reason for asking: Both of my OS image files are corrupt; Since I cannot do a full-image restore with either image -- an error eventually crops up & everything comes to a screetching halt --I have been doing Folder by Folder by Folder restoration, using both images. Apparently, both images choke on c:\windows\winsxs folder.
I have another laptop and a desktop running Windows 7 Pro -- can I copy one of those winsxs?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

Thanks all! Believe it -- I was able to do a "dirty install" onto my Laptop S03. First using Acronis Disk Director 12 to make sure all other partitions were logical, and only C-partition was Primary and Active. After making a mistake with USB-booted MiniTool Power Data Recovery/Partition Manager and using same to get back all four partitions, I continued onward with Acronis Disk Director 12. Finally, using Acronis Tue Image, after restoring my desktop OS image onto S03 laptop, then restoring via Folder/File checkboxes the original S03-OS imsage onto said S03 laptop. First few boots were 800x600, moved up to whatever top end resolution; am now in the process of removing software meant for only the desktop. If anyone's interested: Before the
above, I tried restoring S03 Folders and Files only, after many many noBoots, gave up and went with the above plan -- that's one big reason I could not get near sfc & log, no boot; until the above happened...

dc3, after I get all the printings for my wife's trip to Ohio, and after I get wifey off to the airport Sunday afternoon -- Sunday evening, I will follow your excellent idea, because I would to learn the cause[s] for the ruckus that led to all of the above. Will be back with you! Thankfully, my desktop is working just great. Google mapping galore...

Edited by RolandJS, 06 June 2015 - 09:59 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

Quick update, because I have vision and hand problems, I had to pack up the involved laptop. Early this week, I'm going to set it up in a place where I can EZ-see display screen, EZ-reach keyboard & mouse. My next post will be the results dc3 asked for.
Addendum: I'm going to a local coffee shop Tue and/or Wed for an extended stay, to do the above.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 June 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

dc3 -- I hope laptop still has the PQService partition that came from Acer. Do you know how I can "kick-start" that partition and access its main Restore menu? Since they plan to load Windows 10 onto it, I figured by rolling the laptop back to factory specs, all the original drivers, all original stuff, OEM Windows 7 Home Edition.
Also, success, like lottery monies I guess, didn't last; I'm doing the double-restore again; this time, I'm going to do a factory roll-back via its PQService partition, if its still operational, I hope I can learn how to access it from "outside the box." After that, don't know; it may not hold up under constant use anymore.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 June 2015 - 06:40 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

Please provide us with the complete model of this Acer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

Please provide us with the complete model of this Acer.

Aspire 7741G-6420.

Quick update: OS image overlay failed after 4-5 boots; presently my legal "blue-disk" from MS, Win7PRo 64-bit, was installed and is presently working; it post/boots/starts up -- however, no internet access yet.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 June 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

dc3, I want to thank you very much for attempting to help me with this thread!  Go ahead and close this thread.  I finally wiped HD, installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit [thankfully i have MS blue-disk w/product key].  Everything else I found the drivers for, installed said drivers, and en toto works great, with one exception: modem/hard-wire & wire-less adaptors.  In hardware, I opened a specific purpose thread concerning the Acer IEEE 802.11 adaptors' drivers needed.  You can close this thread  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users