Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for suggestions - new SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

I'm running out of room on my laptop's SSD
I have purchased a new SSD (1 tB) and have a complicated situation I'd like to discuss

The system is a Win8, upgraded to Win8.1, then upgraded to Win10.  It is my primary OS and only lacks the Developer Tools (Debugging Tools for Windows, Visual Studio, etc) for Win10.
The Win10 installation is a bit "quirky" and I'm considering doing a Refresh on it.  I've lost most of my Send To context menu and the Athena extension in Firefox doesn't seem to like the text boxes at Bleeping Computer.  There are other minor glitches that I can't recall (but I have workarounds for them, so they're not a bother).  Also, my ATI graphics card isn't working properly and I can't play games on this system (the problem existed prior to Win10, so I doubt that the Refresh will fix it).

I plan on transferring the Win10 installation to the new SSD using cloning software.
I'd also like to install Win8 again - so I can get my ATI video card working again (long story, but the ATI drivers require signing by Intel in order to work - but it's not as simploe as uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, as that didn't work).

Finally, once Win10 has been out for a bit I'll be getting a new laptop - so I'll be transferring the installation to that new laptop (probably taking the 1tB SSD with it).
I'd like to, at that point, install Win10 clean and then install all of my programs.  

I'd like to keep the current installations while I setup the new copy of Win10, then I'll remove the old Win10 and the Win8 installation in order to free up more space.
All bets are off if the current Win10 expires and I'm forced to do a clean install of Win10 when it's released.
Then it'll be a mad scramble to update everything - luckily I do have an image of the Win8.1 system from before I updated to Win10.

So, any thoughts or insights that you might have will be welcomed.

PS - I have custom programs for BSOD analysis that aren't easy to install - that's why I want to wait to do a clean install.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

Since Windows 10 is not currently ' out yet' I have not really read up on anything.  However, since windows XP SP3 and up.. unless you own a full version of the windows installation you want to install.. the installation is tied to 1 computer.  You cannot simply ' take your ssd and windows installation with you' unless you have a full version.

I am really not sure how this 'free upgrade to windows 10 ' is going to work out for M$.  It kinda sounds like to me your trying to get around this 'limitation' with the windows OS, (even though I am sure it was not your intention to do so) but I just don't think it will work in your favor.  To me.. I like having a full version handy for emergencies.

So ..I guess my suggestion is ... get your new laptop and suffer with a small SSD and install the new SSD in  your new laptop??  Sorry that doesn't sound good but its my only advice.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 05 June 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

I appreciate all suggestions. As I don't really know how I want to do this, all suggestions are equally valid and I'll give them full consideration before deciding

In addition to the copy of the OS that comes with the computer, I also have an MSDN subscription that lets me use up to 10 copies of each OS

Thanks for the suggestions!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

Holy carp... 10 copies.  I may have to look into that one...  Any-who in that case you may just want to setup Dual Booting on your new Laptop with windows 10 preview on it.  If I remember correctly upon completion of the 'free preview' windows 10 expects everyone to re-download and install the OS once it is 'out'.   Also, I suppose you could run windows 10 in a virtual machine since they are ' all the rave' although I personally do not have any experience in this.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 08 June 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:50 PM

Thanks YeahBleeping!  VM's are out.  Win10 will be my primary OS (as it is right now).  Win8/8.1 would be to see if I can regain the ability to game on this system (and that won't work well in a VM). 

FWIW - I had VM's of every OS from DOS to Win10.  But they were only for testing/research purposes - too slow for me to do any real work on.

That's the reason that I had to upgrade to a 1tB drive - I ran out of room!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users