Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

couple problems with linux...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

just installed kali linux minimum, without the desktop. I went through the installation process and started using it. I restarted the PC, as it is dual-booted with windows 8, to get on windows, and i noticed: Grub, which should be installed, did not show up at all. I wanted to make sure i didnt make a mistake and put it on the flash drive so i booted from that, but it said no OS was detected in there. I have kali in my PC, but have no clue how to get back to it. Any help?

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

Are both of your OSs on the same hard drive?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

yes, but different partitions.

ooh, i have a signature

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

Can you re-load your grub boot loader?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

Dont remember which vol i put it in LOL.

ooh, i have a signature

#6 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

it was all auto done by kali.

ooh, i have a signature

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:17 AM

So where you ever able to boot into Kali, or has this been resolved? 

If you're still having issues, just let us know & we'll do what we can. Some of the Linux distros plays well with UEFI & SecureBoot (if enabled), others doesn't & may require it to be disabled in your BIOS. As long as your Windows OS runs OK with SecureBoot disabled, that's no problem, as it does nothing to 'protect' you anyway. In many cases, it causes one not to be able to upgrade the graphics card (GPU), because some has unsigned drivers. Which isn't what we want to make a habit of using, yet some legit apps & drivers lacks a digital signature. 

In other words, all SecureBoot really does is to protect one from themselves. It doesn't take the place of responsible browsing habits & running security. 

The reason why I bring this up, is that I'm not sure if Kali has the needed keys to run on a SecureBoot protected computer. While many Linux distros does, there are some still lagging. That may why Grub isn't showing, if the OS didn't install, neither would their bootloader. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:53 AM

just installed kali linux minimum, without the desktop

I've never used Kali Linux, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but according to Wikipedia it's a Debian derivative, and I do have some Debian experience.

I went through the installation process and started using it.

At this point in time had you done any reboots?

I restarted the PC, as it is dual-booted with windows 8, to get on windows, and i noticed: Grub, which should be installed, did not show up at all.

Is this a UEFI or BIOS computer? If it is a UEFI computer do you have Secure Boot turned on or off? Did you have an active internet connection during the installation process? Did Kali Linux appear to download any files during the installation process?

#9 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:59 AM

I've never used Kali Linux, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but according to Wikipedia it's a Debian derivative, and I do have some Debian experience.

I restarted the PC, as it is dual-booted with windows 8, to get on windows, and i noticed: Grub, which should be installed, did not show up at all.

Is this a UEFI or BIOS computer? If it is a UEFI computer do you have Secure Boot turned on or off? Did you have an active internet connection during the installation process? Did Kali Linux appear to download any files during the installation process?

1, this is a UEFI and i have set legacy bootmode on and safe boot off, i've done no reboots during the installation of kali, but i have done one just afterwards. It then booted into kali. After i rebooted a second time, it never showed again, no matter what i picked on the boot menu.

So where you ever able to boot into Kali, or has this been resolved? 

If you're still having issues, just let us know & we'll do what we can. Some of the Linux distros plays well with UEFI & SecureBoot (if enabled), others doesn't & may require it to be disabled in your BIOS. As long as your Windows OS runs OK with SecureBoot disabled, that's no problem, as it does nothing to 'protect' you anyway. In many cases, it causes one not to be able to upgrade the graphics card (GPU), because some has unsigned drivers. Which isn't what we want to make a habit of using, yet some legit apps & drivers lacks a digital signature. 

In other words, all SecureBoot really does is to protect one from themselves. It doesn't take the place of responsible browsing habits & running security. 

The reason why I bring this up, is that I'm not sure if Kali has the needed keys to run on a SecureBoot protected computer. While many Linux distros does, there are some still lagging. That may why Grub isn't showing, if the OS didn't install, neither would their bootloader. 

Cat

I've tried it with secure boot on and off. Also the OS did install, after the installation, it rebooted. I booted it off of the windows boot manager option and it brought up kali. After this i rebooted again, after setting it up, kali never showed up since

ooh, i have a signature

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

I have Kali "live with persistence" on a USB stick, but I've never installed it. All the Debian based distros I have installed, install grub to the MBR of the first internal drive by default (/dev/sda), although it is possible to change this and install grub to a partition, for example /dev/sda1.

I booted it off of the windows boot manager

When grub is installed to the MBR it should overwrite the Windows bootloader, so when you start your computer you should see a grub boot menu with Linux and Windows listed on it, and would boot into either operating system from there.

It sounds like you may have opted to install grub to a partition, and it hasn't overwritten the Windows bootloader.

The easiest option at this point might be to format the partition and install Kali again, making sure that grub is installed to its default location - which will probably be /dev/sda.

If you would rather fix the problem without reinstalling, there are a few ways you can do so:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Fixing_a_Broken_System

If using the terminal, ignore the "sudo" part of the commands, because you run at root in Kali live.

(If you also run as root in Kali by default when it's installed, it would be a good idea to set up a non-root account for yourself)

#11 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:43 PM

I have Kali "live with persistence" on a USB stick, but I've never installed it. All the Debian based distros I have installed, install grub to the MBR of the first internal drive by default (/dev/sda), although it is possible to change this and install grub to a partition, for example /dev/sda1.

I booted it off of the windows boot manager

When grub is installed to the MBR it should overwrite the Windows bootloader, so when you start your computer you should see a grub boot menu with Linux and Windows listed on it, and would boot into either operating system from there.

It sounds like you may have opted to install grub to a partition, and it hasn't overwritten the Windows bootloader.

The easiest option at this point might be to format the partition and install Kali again, making sure that grub is installed to its default location - which will probably be /dev/sda.

If you would rather fix the problem without reinstalling, there are a few ways you can do so:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Fixing_a_Broken_System

If using the terminal, ignore the "sudo" part of the commands, because you run at root in Kali live.

(If you also run as root in Kali by default when it's installed, it would be a good idea to set up a non-root account for yourself)

well, it didnt overwrite the bootloader...

ooh, i have a signature

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

While this isn't the way most Linux enthusiasts chooses to dual boot Windows & Linux OS's, it's worked for me for years & avoids a 'double boot' that happens when choosing to boot into Windows. 

The EasyBCD 2.2 app (free, registration required), though some other sites such as Major Geeks has it where it's a direct download. Normally I link direct download from the source where possible, it's my preference, part of an overall safe computing strategy. There are times when I have to deviate from that, though I keep this to a minimum for safety. 

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

What this app is, among other things, a custom bootloader that many uses for total control over booting two or more OS, on one or more drives, or to avoid the double boot that Grub or a later version of Windows, if installed as a dual boot, creates. For example, if one has the Windows 10 Preview (or 8.1) installed along with Windows 7, if one wants to get into Windows 7, two full reboots are required. This isn't just unnecessary, it's pure out absurd & eliminates one of the top reasons to have fast SSD's installed. For fast boot times. It's like traveling half way around the city to get to a store just two blocks away, the way that newer OS's does the old (by design). 

The way to use it is simple. When creating a Linux boot entry after installing & opening the app in your main OS, just click onto 'Create New Entry' tab, and then there will be some choices, click the Linux tab, be sure to select Grub2 from the drop down menu (if you just choose 'Grub' it won't work), you can name the OS, after that you may see the 'automatically find' entry, if desired that can be used, however I've done it both ways, one choose the root partition that their Linux OS is installed on & click Apply. If successful, it'll show that Kali Linux (or whichever desired) has been added to the boot entries successfully (or similar wording). 

While I've simplified this process much as possible, most anyone with using custom apps can easily catch on as to using this app, and it's made my dual, tri & quad booting experience no less than a pleasure, with several OS's across one or more drives. 

Hope that this can be of use to you. :)

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 06 June 2015 - 10:13 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

I wanted to make sure i didnt make a mistake and put it on the flash drive so i booted from that

Did you use your system's quick-boot menu to accomplish this, or did you change your boot-order?

How many hard-drives do you have installed on your computer, and does you BIOS allow you to set their boot priority individually?

i noticed: Grub, which should be installed, did not show up

Did you have an internet connection during the installation process?

I've tried it with secure boot on and off.

So you installed in CSM mode (Legacy BIOS mode), but have tried booting in UEFI mode with secure boot on/off?

#14 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

I wanted to make sure i didnt make a mistake and put it on the flash drive so i booted from that

Did you use your system's quick-boot menu to accomplish this, or did you change your boot-order?

How many hard-drives do you have installed on your computer, and does you BIOS allow you to set their boot priority individually?

i noticed: Grub, which should be installed, did not show up

Did you have an internet connection during the installation process?

I've tried it with secure boot on and off.

So you installed in CSM mode (Legacy BIOS mode), but have tried booting in UEFI mode with secure boot on/off?

1. i tried both multiple times

2. yes

3. No, UEFI entire time.

ooh, i have a signature

#15 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

While this isn't the way most Linux enthusiasts chooses to dual boot Windows & Linux OS's, it's worked for me for years & avoids a 'double boot' that happens when choosing to boot into Windows. 

The EasyBCD 2.2 app (free, registration required), though some other sites such as Major Geeks has it where it's a direct download. Normally I link direct download from the source where possible, it's my preference, part of an overall safe computing strategy. There are times when I have to deviate from that, though I keep this to a minimum for safety. 

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

What this app is, among other things, a custom bootloader that many uses for total control over booting two or more OS, on one or more drives, or to avoid the double boot that Grub or a later version of Windows, if installed as a dual boot, creates. For example, if one has the Windows 10 Preview (or 8.1) installed along with Windows 7, if one wants to get into Windows 7, two full reboots are required. This isn't just unnecessary, it's pure out absurd & eliminates one of the top reasons to have fast SSD's installed. For fast boot times. It's like traveling half way around the city to get to a store just two blocks away, the way that newer OS's does the old (by design). 

The way to use it is simple. When creating a Linux boot entry after installing & opening the app in your main OS, just click onto 'Create New Entry' tab, and then there will be some choices, click the Linux tab, be sure to select Grub2 from the drop down menu (if you just choose 'Grub' it won't work), you can name the OS, after that you may see the 'automatically find' entry, if desired that can be used, however I've done it both ways, one choose the root partition that their Linux OS is installed on & click Apply. If successful, it'll show that Kali Linux (or whichever desired) has been added to the boot entries successfully (or similar wording). 

While I've simplified this process much as possible, most anyone with using custom apps can easily catch on as to using this app, and it's made my dual, tri & quad booting experience no less than a pleasure, with several OS's across one or more drives. 

Hope that this can be of use to you. :)

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

I really love the concept of it, but i cannot seem to find kali, it keeps saying that there is a missing os in C:\NST and told me to put in a windows repair disk

ooh, i have a signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users