Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen white cursor (Help please)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GreekEnigma

GreekEnigma

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hi first my brothers laptop had this issue, so took it to a friend who is going to try sort it

and now its happened to my old one i got from mums

Ok basically its something my brother is doing

he came in saying the laptop turns on then goes to a black screen with white cursor (windows 7)

i can not get past this at all & i have important vids,pics,docs etc on the laptop

unfortunatly im not very techy at the mo & didnt know how to backup the hard drive

i turn on laptop & keep pressing f1 and then it goes to some advance thing

ive tried the repair computer, says no probs found

ive tried system retore, says no restore points?

i have no clue whats happened

ps ctrl alt delete does nothing

i can only get to system restore and command promt etc if i keep clicking f1 to f12 then system repair

then access command promt etc from their

whys the no restore points????? i thought windows automatically does this?

please help as im so fed up as this has now happend to both laptops now

thankyou

Edited by GreekEnigma, 05 June 2015 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:26 AM

Black screen errors are very difficult to diagnose and fix.  Even more so since it won't get into Windows at any point.

What happens when you tap F8 during startup - can you get into Safe Mode?

If so, backup your stuff from there.

If not, you can slave your hard drive to another computer and copy the data over from there.

You can also backup from the command prompt if you're comfortable working at the command line

Windows doesn't automatically set restore points as they take up a fair amount of hard drive space.

You have to tell it to do it.

I'd suggest that you concentrate on backing up your data.

And once that is done, wipe the hard drive clean and start over with a fresh install of Windows.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 akki5230

akki5230

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:47 AM

Same thing is happening with me... I have installed windows 8.1 pro x86 just 10 days ago and it is now not booting and showing a blinking cursor on black screen just after the motherboard logo. I had nvidia graphics installed and I removed it and installed amd one and that's when this happened. I didn't uninstall the nvidia drivers and amd drivers were not installed. But I have done this before and it never happened like this. So I guess it's not the cause. I did startup repairs from windows 8.1 dvd but it didn't fix anything. 

So i'll need to format and install fresh copy again:(((

For backing the data you may also use small version of linux. I am using Slacko Puppy Linux Distribution which is just about 150 MB to download and create a bootable USB drive and you can use it live and also back up the data from your windows drive very easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users