Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need some help for impending hd disaster

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

hi all

my old installation of xp pro is well overdue to not boot for whatever rereason it choses this time ,its  ok right now but bad sector keeps appearing on hd and running repair command from dos at boot time only takes a couple of seconds and reports something like disk is clean , so i assume it has not acually run.

id like to check that recovery consoul works [it never has in the past] and test it in action

would appreciate ansistance

thanks mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

Set up a regular backup to some external media (USB HDD etc.) or online service (OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc. for individual files, Carbonite, Mozzy, etc. for all files).

How to use the Windows Backup Utility in Windows XP

EasUS Todo Backup Free

Macrium Reflect Free

Paragon Backup and Recovery Free

The recovery console is only useful if you don't have underlying hardware problems (like disk failure).

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 05 June 2015 - 01:07 PM.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

thanks 4 that, i have an image on another disk

can u throw any light on why running repair command only takes 2 seconds. what does that mean

ive just tested hd again and there are no errors, last test [on different program] must have been remembering the errors from before. it did repair the error

Edited by superqaz, 05 June 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

If your hard drive is failing...running any Windows command is the wrong thing to do...dong so may only speed up the anticipated failure's timetable.

There is no Windows tool..that can "fix" or "repair" a failing hard drive.

The chkdsk /r function is intended to try to repair file system or file problems...not hard drive problems.  MS chose poor terminology when it was labeled a "disk check" since it only checks the partition for which it is designated.  By default, it will check the partition containing the Windows install.

There is no "repair" command for XP, so I'm curious as to just what it is that you are doing.

Chkdsk - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/62912a3c-d2cc-4ef6-9679-43709a286035

If you truly believe that the drive is failing...the best thing to do would be to backup/move all critical data files...before doing anything else with said drive, IMO.

The 3-stage chkdsk that runs involuntarily after a system boot...is usually an indication that the chkdsk /r command needs to be run upon completion of boot, IMO.  To do that, user goes Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen, hit Enter.  Reboot...the command will execute before booting into Windows.

Louis

#5 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

sorry, ive confused the issue

ive just run chkdsk  /r, it completed stage 5 but showed results so fast couldnt read them, then on re boot it showed "clean". does this mean there were no errors?

yesterday i ran third party program HD Tune [long test] which found no bad blocks. one bad block was repaired/mapped or whatever 2 weeks ago. So drive seems ok

i have a mirror image backup on another disk.

historically ive had damaged damaged /lost file problems preventing boot up so would a working recovery consol be appropriate?

also would it be helpful to run the CHKDSK /P command which i see is diagnostic only?

thanks

Edited by superqaz, 06 June 2015 - 04:47 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

I don't even know why they created a chkdsk /p command...what's the point of looking for an unknown problem without taking steps to address it?  It makes sense to me to just run the chkdsk /r command, which tries to overcome the negative situations encountered...than to run a "practice" which yields no results.

Although I have used HD Tune before...it's been a while.  Did it provide an overall assessment of the hard drive?

Bad blocks...are not the only indication that a drive may have problems...you might want to look at the SMART data if HD Tune provided that.

If you don't think that you have a problem of any sort with your drive...why the dramatic title of your topic?  It's unclear to me what suggestions/advice/assessment you were searching for.

The XP Recovery Console (if that what you referred to in your original post)...is a set of commands that can be used to attempt overcome certain Windows situaitons.  If you have a full backup that can be easily restored...the Recovery Console would be the second-line effort, IMO...the backup is far better, IMO.

Louis

#7 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:54 AM

have been without the pc for a couple of days or access to here.

the dramatic title was a bit strong yes, however i DID think i had a reocurring problem with bad sectors as one program i used to test it [not HD Tune] came up AGAIN with a bad sector even after it had repaired one before. plus the temporature was too hot and had been for ages as id left the side cover off and it told me to shut down the pc.   so thats why i expected trouble. i think that program just wanted to sell me a full copy

but ive been a very long time now [for me] without a boot problem and i do install/uninastall lots of programs etc so judging by my history im well overdue for problems.

id like to have The XP Recovery Console available. what sort of backup does it restore, is it from the installation disk its self?

i'll look to see if HD Tune provided smart data

ive been sweating here last 2 days the restore an Aomei backup, Aomei broke the OS installation when restore failed.  in the last 2 days i  installed win 7 in order to access AOMEI backup as a Linuc disk would not boot [i'd be planning to upgrade anyway] but it [win 7] wouldnt allow me to use a second HD thats installed , this problem took a day to try to sort. anyway im back to Xp now after a successfull Aomei restore [square one]

perhaps u could recommend a freeware /free to try program for checking had drives

thanks

Edited by superqaz, 08 June 2015 - 05:26 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:40 AM

Well...there are several diagnostics mentioned at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/?p=3663018 .

GSmart Hard Drive Test, Alexstrasza - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565216/laptop-running-slow-tried-many-things-and-unreadable-files/?p=3613590

GSmart Instructions, jhayz - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511963/slow-start-up/page-2

The XP Recovery Console does not restore backups, not sure where you got that idea.

How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console, Updated Feb 2012 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

How to use the Windows recovery console. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000627.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2015 - 07:28 AM.
Removed hidden link - Hamluis.

#9 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

thanks...i misrerad you

will check links then come back here to try for some help to read the 2nd hd

m

am now running Gsmart control  Extended Self-Test

shucks...it just aborted the test after an hour

Edited by superqaz, 08 June 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#10 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

its aborting so i will shelve this for time being.   i'd like to get some help with assigning a drive letter to this 2nd hdisk which can be seen but not read. have tryed most advice from forums but with no luck

linux disks dont work for me except for the Avira one

thanks

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:29 PM

If a valid hard drive diagnostic cannot read/see the drive...I'd have to say that the drive has problems beyond normal correction.

Louis

#12 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

well xp can see it just fine and its marked as heathy. 

but as i said i cant assign a letter to it. because options are greyed out except for "delete partition" [i didnt think it was a partition, its a pysically separate hard disk]

its healthy. active. ntfs. 111gb. and has some important data on it

im not giving up that easily if anyone else has got any ideas i'd appreciate

thanks

Edited by superqaz, 09 June 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#13 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

ive got a data hd in my pc but i cant assign a letter to it. because options are greyed out except for "delete partition" [i didnt think it was a partition, its a pysically separate hard disk] 

this means i cant read the data on it

its healthy. active. ntfs. 111gb. and has some important data on it 

i'd appreciate any help

thanks

Mod Edit:  Merged new post with original topic, moved to Internal Hardware forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2015 - 09:50 AM.
Merged topics, moved to IH - Hamluis.

#14 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:21 AM

Hi,

you could try recovery programs such as recuva: https://www.piriform.com/recuva or testdisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk to get the data back.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

yes as a last resort i will, however id like to find out why a cant assign a letter to it, it worked well and i suspect Ive somehow changed a setting

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users