Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adwcleaner 4.203 shows I have Goggle Chrome browser when I don't

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kikig04

Kikig04

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hi everyone! When I run Adwcleaner, at the bottom after I reboot it show's that I have IE; Mozilla Firefox and Goggle Chrome. I'm wondering why it's showing Chrome, when I thought it was removed with Revo Uninstaller? Any advice?

Thank you all for all your help, always!!!

Kiki G.

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2015 - 12:25 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:05 PM

Hi Kiki :)

It's possible that you still have a Google Chrome related folder on your system. Can you check in Program Files (x86), Local and Roaming if you have a folder called Google or Chrome?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Hi Aura! Hope all is well- Thanks for the quick reply- I looked for it last night in that folder (x86) and found Google, so I deleted it along with its contents- It's still showing that I have Google Chrome after I ran Adwcleaner?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

Did you have a folder called Google or Chrome in AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming as well?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

I haven't checked that yet Aura,  where would I find AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming :-/ also, I just checked again in x86, and the Goggle folder is there?

#6 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

My bad Aura, I'm on my desktop now, I was just on my Laptop- Sorry, that Goggle folder does not show up in x86, but still shows up after I run Adwcleaner and reboot...

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

Local and Roaming are located in C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local and C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming. Where $USERNAME is your username.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

Ok, it's in C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local but not in C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

Alright, delete the Google/Chrome folder in Local, and then re-run AdwCleaner.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

Damn Aura, you nailed it again!!! Thanks man, well appreciated :thumbup2: If ya lived closer, I'd buy ya a beer

Kiki G.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

No problem Kiki, my pleasure :) And I don't drink alcohol, but I would gladly take a Coke!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:55 PM

Right on! Your Tech Support is just awesome Aura- Keep up the great work, and have a fantastic weekend!!!

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

Thank you Kiki, have a great weekend yourself! :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:49 PM

It is common for programs to install files and folders in various locations on your system besides the Program Files/Program Files (x86) folder. This would include the AppData and ProgramData folders and Windows Registry.

AppData (Application data) is a hidden sub-folder used to protect user data and settings from unwanted changes or deletion for any number of installed programs. User data that was previously stored in the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings directory in Windows XP is now stored in the %SystemDrive%\Users directory (for Vista and above) which includes a AppData folder.

AppData or Application data is a hidden folder in Windows 7. It is to protect user data and settings from any unwanted change or deletion. It contains many important data such as program settings, IE cookies, toolbar settings, IE browsing history, temporary files created by applications, Libraries, send to items, templates and many more...To access this folder you have to select “Show hidden files and folders” in the folder options.

What is Application Data Folder in Windows 7

The ProgramData is a hidden folder that contains application data such as program settings and user data for installed programs.

ProgramData specifies the path to the program-data folder (normally C:\ProgramData). Unlike the Program Files folder, this folder can be used by applications to store data for standard users, because it does not require elevated permissions.

What is the ProgramData Folder

When uninstalling programs, it is not uncommon to find leftovers (remnants) in these areas as well as in Windows Registry since many program uninstallers do not perform an adequate job of completely removing them. How you deal with remnants depends on how clean you want your system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •