Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MEDIA ENGINE ERROR 0xCooD36C4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

Some of my Windows Store Media Player apps have stopped working (while others workOK). The Error message is MF_MEDIA ENGINE_ERROR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED 0xCooD36C4.

I have searched for this code and found many similar but not this specific code.

The apps concerned are for playing TV or Videos.

Can someone help please?

Windows 8.1 Quantum View Tablet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

Can you play any other video files using the apps?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

No, I cannot play anything I have tried so far, with the apps affected.

They give reports such as 'media not found' or 'we are unable to play video at this time'.  If they only failed to play some videos not all I would have guessed it was an absence of the appropriate codec(s)  --- not that I know much about these things.  The apps which are particularly affected include AV Remote (from the Windows Store) which integrates with Chromecast -- I should be able to use it to play YouTube videos for example or the few home produced videos I have stored online, but cannot; TV Catchup and other TV apps (but in the case of the latter I realised it was only theway Windows interacts with the app which is at fault so I could use the Catchup service directly from the web, which is OK); plus apps which should play full length movies but dont.  

I was surprised to find I could not play .mpg/4  because I though that was a fairly common format, which I used years ago when producing my own short videos with a CamCorder.  I understand MKV is a format which has cause problems but I believe I have that codec and it can be played by VLC.  There is a Windows Codac Pack for free download which I will probably try but as I say I suspect it is not a codec issue, otherwise why would the apps refuse to play anything?

clayto

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

See if it will play this file: GRC WMV Test Video

Make sure to save the file to your computer, then play it.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hello

The file played OK in WMP, VLC and Metro Media Player which is a Store app.  However, what I most want is to get media to play in the Store app AV Remote which is designed to work with Chromecast,but I have not so far found a way to open it in AV Remote. You are supposed to be able to move and drop a file into AVR but as soon as it enters the app's window the file's icon turns into the no entry sign and is not recognised.  If there is a way of doing it I havnt found it yet. 

clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users