Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternatives to Hitman Pro

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

I have been using Hitman Pro to clean serious infections off of computers for a couple years now. Does anything else compare? Is it the best? What is it about Hitman Pro that separates it from other tools that compete in the same arena? What are its limitations?

Thanks!

for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hi goose90proof :)

In terms of Antimalware and second-opinion scanner, I would go with Malwarebytes Free, or Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free. These are in my opinion the two best in their categories and they also both have an incredible team behind them. Also, the only difference I see between HitmanPro and these two, is that it targets more "stuff" in a sense, but a lot of detections are cookies, which aren't a real threat. Malwarebytes and Emsisoft don't target those. Also, HitmanPro uses engines from other Antivirus, while Malwarebytes have their own and Emsisoft use their own, plus the one from Bitdefender.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

Hi again Aura! You are quite omniscient it seems ;)

So, you're saying that Hitman Pro only uses VirusTotal for detection? Is that for definition based detection only? I was under the impression that Hitman Pro had some heuristic detections of its own...?

for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

I never said that HitmanPro uses only VirusTotal, nor that it uses VirusTotal at all. If I recall well, HitmanPro uses its own engine, plus engines from other companies. On their website, you can see in the screenshots that it uses engines from IKARUS, Dr.Web, Emsisoft, Prevx and G Data. It might use more or less as of now, I couldn't tell.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Sorry! Didn't mean to mis-attribute to you what I think I know about HMP. My memory is telling me that HMP uses VirusTotal for unrecognized files, but I may be wrong about that. Which of the products you mentioned is the one that is using BitDefender's engine?

for3ver,
goose90proof

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is the program that uses Bitdefender's engine. And I've read about HitmanPro using VirusTotal for unknown files, however I don't follow it's development that much.

unite_blue.png

#7 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

OK, you've gotten me really interested in Emsisoft all of a sudden because of the part about them using BitDefender's tech. Are they exclusively using BitDefender engine or are they using it as a supplement to their own, in-house tech?

for3ver,
goose90proof

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

They are using it as a supplement of their own engine that they have. So it's a dual-engine product (Emsisoft's engine and Bitdefender's engine). If you want, we have Emsisoft Rep. on BleepingComputer. We could send one of them in this thread to give you more explanations if needed.

Edited by Aura., 05 June 2015 - 12:21 PM.

unite_blue.png

#9 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

My only other question:

What does BitDefender bring to the table that Emsisoft doesn't do on its own?

I understand that overlaps in security is a given and that is always a good thing in the interest of security, but what specifically about BitDefender's tech attracted Emsisoft to include it in their product?

Rootkit/bootkit detection? Memory scanning?

EDIT: I am looking for a product that I can license for commercial use to clean infected computers. That should provide some context to my questions. ;)

Edited by goose90proof, 05 June 2015 - 12:37 PM.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Just to add to what Aura said, G-Data also uses BitDefender engine in their products. Prevx is now part of Webroot.

One of the advantages that Emsisoft has over Malwarebytes and HitmanPro is that it has safeguards to avoid false positives that can turn out disastrous (detecting important system files for example). HitmanPro in particular is very prone to FPs, so in here we only use it as a second opinion scanner and manually remove what HMP found instead.

Edit: In Emsisoft products, BitDefender engine provides AV detection, while the inhouse engine provides AM detection. There is a lot of reasons to choose BD... see this post (at the bottom).

If you need a product for commercial cleaning of computers, your choice would be Emsisoft Emergency Kit Pro.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 05 June 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#11 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

This is very helpful, thanks so much for jumping in. More questions are coming up though...

So, BitDefender is supplying detection for low level stuff like rootkits, trojans, etc. and Emsi is doing detection for PUP's and other junk?

for3ver,
goose90proof

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hi there,

Basically the Emsisoft engine compliments what BitDefender does not detect - the moment BitDefender starts to detect something, its corresponding signature in the Emsisoft database is removed. This keeps resource consumption low at all times.

#13 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:55 PM

That makes sense. Thank you for your time.

One final thing... I am looking over the Emergency Kit Pro and it looks great. I would like to elaborate on my use case a little more to make sure I do not violate any terms of the license if I were to purchase it...

Can I use this tool on remote machines? For example, let's say I remote into a machine and I want to clean malware from it. Can I copy the program from my host machine to the remote client and remove the infections?

Can others use the license or is it licensed strictly to myself? Are there any volume licensing deals that Emsisoft offers?

Essentially, what I want to be able to do is put a powerful tool in the hands of (just for the sake of this example) 30 people. I want those 30 people to be able to clean as many computers as they need to in a year. Do I purchase 30 licenses for 4000 clean PC's/yr? How would that work?

for3ver,
goose90proof

#14 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

I will ask a member of the Emsisoft team to answer your questions - he is part of support and knows more than I do :)

Edited by Alexstrasza, 05 June 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#15 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

That would be great! Thanks so much. You are great.

for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users