Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyway to back up software to external drive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 funlover

funlover

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

I want to replace my hard drive. I have 2 external drives with backups of all documents and photos.

I don't mind doing an install of windows 7 on the new drive, but hate reinstalling software.

Is it possible to transfer all software from a backup? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

Not usually, because the installation routine for many (most?) Windows applications create their own unique Windows Registry entries as well as scattering their program files and folders all over the place. :(

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

You are not backing up your programs in the usual sense but you can create a disk image of your old drive to a USB external drive. Install the new drive and restore the disk image. All your programs and settings would be what they were on the old drive. Macrium Reflect Free is a good program for this. Also Aoemi Backupper. You would need to create the bootable disk in the program so you could recover the image to the new drive. Before restoring the image, make sure the bootable disk can see both the new and external drives.

You could also clone the old drive to the new drive but you would need to have both drives connected at the same time. Both the above programs will let you clone the drive.

#4 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

Thank you both so much!

#5 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:29 AM

You are not backing up your programs in the usual sense but you can create a disk image of your old drive to a USB external drive. Install the new drive and restore the disk image. All your programs and settings would be what they were on the old drive. Macrium Reflect Free is a good program for this. Also Aoemi Backupper. You would need to create the bootable disk in the program so you could recover the image to the new drive. Before restoring the image, make sure the bootable disk can see both the new and external drives.

You could also clone the old drive to the new drive but you would need to have both drives connected at the same time. Both the above programs will let you clone the drive.

easeus todo backup free and acronis true image are also good.

If I'm right, using todo backup, you can clone the old drive to the new one without installing the operation system or applications.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

Easeus Todo Backup Free is also a good program. Acronis True Image is paid though. Depending on the make of the drive Seagate and WD have their own imaging programs based on True Image which is another option.

#7 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Lots of good choices, thanks!

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

There are basically two ways of backing up software:

Firstly there are system images, they back up your whole computer's state and backup the software you have installed at the time of making the image. A system image can be restored from after a disaster to take your computer back to an older state with all the software installed. A system image also backs up all the deafults with which you like the software to be set up. On some windows version there is a system imaging tool built into control panel.

Secondly you can sometimes just back up the installer exe files like you would back up any other file, certainly for offline installers (ones which contain everything needed for installation, as opposed to online installers which start downloading the things needed for installation when you run them) you can copy and paste them onto a usb or burn them onto a cd-rw as you would any other file. If they are offline installers they should then be able to run and install the program on any machine you copy the file onto and then run the file on. For online installers the installer will only be able to install onto machnes which are connected to the internet at the time you run the installer and for online installers they only continue to work if the software is till available online. Offline installers will still work even if the software is no longer avilable for download anywhere, so are very helpful to keep copies of if you use old software (perhaps where you still use an old version rather than the latest version for some sort of compatbilitity reasons). To make this kind of backup you need to make sure to download the installer exe file and ave it in a folder somewhere, if you've already deleted the installer exe file (or ran it straight away rather than svaing it) then it is too late to do this unless you download the program again and store a copy of it's installer then. Note that backing up the files ofnthe program after installation (it's files and folders under C:\programfiles\ is generally useless, you can't install a program just by copying these into the same folder on another machine, if you want to backup a program by a means other than a system image you will need to backup it's installer file.

Edited by rp88, 08 June 2015 - 01:56 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

Is it a good idea to do a system image or is it better to just do it all from scratch?  It just takes so long.  Some of my software is on cd's and others are downloaded.  My harddrive tests ok, but it has been making clicking noises on start up.  Also last week i made sure all drivers are up to date.  Since then occasionally throughout the day, I hear a quiet little beep like when you redmove a SD card?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

Based on your first post, you would be good as suggested already with imaging (1) or cloning (2) the drive the way you want it intended. The clicking noise could be a power problem or a imminent mechanical failure on the drive itself. The beep might just be a system sound during connect or remove a peripheral device.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users