Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent yet often connectivity outages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

So Starting yesterday, my connectivity has been dropping intermittently, but very often.

It has been happening only during the day, with minimal to no dropouts after 6PM Eastern, or before 845AM Eastern The dropouts are happening on average every 5 minutes or less, as close together as every 2-3 minutes, making this a very unstable, and at this point, unusable connection.

my RF levels on the modem are attached in a screenshot.

Screenshot 2015-06-05 at 09.36.22 AM.png

The event log of the modem is filled with the second attachment.

Screenshot 2015-06-05 at 09.49.28 AM.png

I chatted with support while at work, but all they said was that they needed me to be at home to unplug the modem and replug it etc... check cables and all the scripted responses. when i got back home and called them back, it was after the time the outages were happening, so it looks to them, rightfully so, that the connection is up and running.

My thinking is that there is some external wires or other component that is getting upset when the sun rises, and doesn't stop until the sun passes over the house. I am reasonably sure it is not an inside equipment issue, as if it were, why would the outages only happen during these times of day.

Does my line of thinking make sense? or based on the description and the attached data, is it something else completely? Thoughts anyone?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

It might be outside but you need to check the inside that you can see.

Did they run a connection from the outside of your place directly to the modem? or did it have to be split off? Not talking about a wall jack but an actual splitter. Either way, check to make sure the cable is tight at all connections. Also that there is nothing wrong with the cables, nicks or cuts. But still answer the question about how the cable is run =)

And yeah, you'll have to call when you are having the issue to get them to want to send a tech out.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

Ill have to double check, but i think the line that comes into the apartment from outside is split, one going to the modem, the other to the cable box.

#4 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

Another thing that has happened today, which i think lends more credence to my initial thoughts, is that it has recently started raining and we have cloud cover. there have been no drop offs  during the cloudcover/rain

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

Who is your internet provider? A docsis 3.0 modem would be better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users