Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor going into Power Saving Mode when I'm in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 person721

person721

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hi everyone!

I really hope you can try and help me with this.

While I was trying to boot from a CD (GParted Live), the monitor was working and then after few second of showing the boot menu of GParted, it displayed that there is "NO SIGNAL" and entered Power Saving Mode. Clicking on the keyboard didn't wake him up.

Now, I accessed BIOS, and wanted to see if while I'm inside BIOS it will to that. I managed to access the BIOS just fine, and after few minutes, the monitor displayed a massage that there is no signal and it entered Power Saving Mode.

The odd thing is that when I'm logged inside windows - it doesn't do that.

Can you help me find where is the problem and help me fix it?

GPU: Radeon HD 5850 (GV-R585OC-1GD)

Monitor: LG 24MP76 (Connected to GPU through HDMI)

Motherboard: GA-P55A-UD4P (rev. 1.0)

Memory: 4GB

Additional info:

After I'm trying to upgrade my graphics card driver, when I restart my computer - the monitor works until some point in the middle of loading the OS (Windows 7) and then my monitor says that there is "no signal" and that it is entering "Power Saving Mode". (The Power Plan in Windows Power Options is set to High performance - The display is set to never go off).

I used a Restore Point to be able to get the monitor working and gain access to Windows again.

I removed my graphics card out of its place and put it back in - but it didn't fix the issue.

Thanks for everyone who's reading this and trying to help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

In the bios is there a setting for ' boot mode enable legacy support ' This MAY fix the problem, or we may need to look elsewhere in the bios (there maybe a bios update to fix this) What motherboard are you using?

#3 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hey YeahBleeping,

I'm using GIGABYTE motherboard model: GA-P55A-UD4P (rev. 1.0).

I'll search now the "legacy support" in the bios and I'll update you if I find it..

#4 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

Just now, I restarted my PC and entered the BIOS to find what you told me to, and in about one minute after I accessed BIOS - The monitor turned turned black and went into power saving mode.

By the way, I connected before a different monitor and the result was the same.

As long as I'm in inside Windows - my PC won't go black on me. But when I'm outside of it - it will.

Maybe I should reset BIOS to default settings? (There is an option like that, right? (sorry for being noob))

Thanks for your help!

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

Do you have a discreet video card your monitor is connected to?  Like Nvidia or AMD?  Try connecting your monitor to the onboard video and see if it works then.  Still there should be a bios fix or solution .. possible the solution is to turn off onboard graphics.  Keep in mind though if you do this and your video card dies you will have a tougher time getting into the bios since you have turned off onboard graphics.

#6 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

My motherboard doesn't have an onboard GPU.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

And so your right.. sorry I didn't look at the actual board.  You may be able to get better advice on what to do/change if you send gigabyte a support ticket

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

Hello, I see you are using the HDMI port, can you switch to the standard VGA graphics port to see if there is an issue with the HDMI port?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

Hey MrBruce,

There is no VGA port in my GPU. I tried using one of the DVI port with a different monitor, but the result was the same. Monitor went to Power Saving Mode after a while, and showed that there is "No signal".

It is very odd that when I'm inside Windows my monitor working just fine and doesn't entering Power Saving Mode, but a minute outside of Windows, like booting from CD, even a Windows installation DVD, makes my monitor to go black (and maybe the "no signal" is a crash/freeze symptom). I can't figure out why is that.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

Okay, thanks for letting me know your graphics card does not include VGA ports.

It may sound strange for me to question your monitor's settings over the graphics card, however, I have experienced an issue like this when using the HDMI ports on both the graphics card and monitor. It required me to re-set my monitor's default settings to correct this problem. The same problem you are experiencing.

Is this your monitor? http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-24MP76HM

It has both a D-Sub Port and HDMI port so I am curios if your monitor settings need to be re-set, can you go into the monitor's settings and see if there is an option to re-set the settings?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 June 2015 - 03:20 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

Yes.

After checking all of the setting of my monitor, it seems that there is no "Reset" option.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

Give me time to research your monitor's owners manual for options I can suggest for you to try.

Bruce.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

I found a copy of the manual.

Hopefully this link will work for others to view the manual.

http://data.manualslib.com/pdf4/86/8511/851024-lg/24mp76hm.pdf?b188136875835764527435d1c7cda82b&take=binary

Bruce.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Found it. Here is how you re-set the monitor;

Reset ● ● Restore all factory default settings. Press the◄ , ►buttons to reset immediately

Bruce.

#15 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:01 AM

Bruce, first of all, I want to thank you for trying to help me. :)

It slipped my eyes and you're 100% correct - there is a "Reset" option! Sorry for being sloppy (I guess I was a little bit tired when I checked for this setting in the menus and in the manual).

However, after resetting I entered BIOS to check out if the problem has been solved. The monitor indicated that there is "No signal" and entered Power Saving Mode after 2 minutes (Now I officially timed it).

I appreciate your efforts in helping me, thank you.

Edited by person721, 06 June 2015 - 12:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users