Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Combofix the answer here?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:49 AM

I have been receiving help from an IT expert in trying to fix a log in/out issue. To start with there were a number of other problems as well. All bar this one have been fixed successfully.  It seems to me that everything has been done finishing with a full HDD scan.

There is only one site where i have this problem. The IT people there have been unsuccessful in finding anything wrong.

It started when after logging in, i would be logged out the moment i moved from one section of the site to another. It was impossible to stay logged in and move about. I was advised by 'them' to tick the 'remember me' box. All this did was make it easier to keep logging in lol!  I tried to get out of this by removing the tick in the RM box. But, my tick was no longer there!!

I now seem to have a permanent situation of being logged in 'sort of', Very unsatisfactory and dangerous as this site involves financial transactions.

A long while ago, someone on Bleeping Computer advised using Combofix. I have no recollection as to the problem then, except that it worked. Is this not a good case of applying CF once more?

Please may someone help. I am really worried about the security situation over on this site. Thank you. JH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:54 AM

Hello there,

Please do NOT run ComboFix without expert supervision.

From Bleeping Computer's guide on running ComboFix:

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for malware...nor was it designed to be a remote support toolUsing this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

If you suspect a malware infection, I recommend that you follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

Regards,
Alex

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

ComboFix is not a cure all tool...it is intended to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries. On first run ComboFix can automatically detect and remove a lot of malware from various locations where it is known to hide. Since it provides a wealth of information about many areas of the operating system and registry in the comprehensive logs it creates...that information can provide a strategy for planning additional malware removal steps using other alternative tools.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. We recommend that people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert who is assisting them deal with a malware problem. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, problems running ComboFix (i.e. stalling, hanging, crashing) or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections.

Also be aware that using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, FRST, OTL, Zoek and RSIT should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning a strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is even necessary. FRST has become our tool of choice since it provides equivalent information and (unlike ComboFix) works on all operating systems.

While our policy is not to offer advice on running ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it, we are willing to assist with resolving problems caused after using it and we are certainly willing to help with malware disinfection. If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, please follow the instructions provided by Alexstrasza.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Continued here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578467/trying-to-resolve-a-serious-log-in-problem/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:59 AM

Now that your new topic is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the information or any log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers but your topic will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

I advise checking your new topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users