Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A10-7870k/R7 250 2GB CrossfireX VS Nvidia GTX 750

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:58 PM

Will be building a gaming computer for someone shortly. Ends up the local Microcenter has a bunch of specials running on the new/refreshed Godavari APU. Makes it end up costing the same tagged with a DDR3 R7 250 as the GPU-less 860k variant tied with a GTX 750 (maybe ti if i can find a deal). 

Question is what do you think will perform better assuming everything else in the system doesn't physically act as bottleneck to either.

I have high hopes for the CrossfireX setup seeing as the combined power should be more, and that with the release of DirectX12 the whole system will gain a boost. Less CPU burden making the CPU last longer and better dual card utilization with integrated graphics making the pair last a lot longer for the price over the GTX 750. Future HSA use perhaps contributing to the lifespan of the main chip that DX12 hints at bringing into standard. 

However using purely the dedicated card would be more stable, put less of a temperature stress on the CPU, give higher wattage limits to later cards with the absents of a IGP draw, be a simpler setup to update, have better driver support, and should give a higher immediate FPS then the CrossfireX config could give at the moment. Only real downside being that if DX12 is all it's cracked up to be then it will become out of date very quickly. 

Edited by SEANIA, 04 June 2015 - 11:05 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

Since I am not sure if you are actually asking a question here I will just provide my opinion.  In my opinion the problems that arise from crossfire-more power requirement-possible microstutter-possible configuration and compatibility problems with games lends me to the fact that I always 'prefer' a single card solution.  DX12 is a huge deal - really a game changer in the way that games will be coded in the future.  We may not 'see' many games taking support of DX12 for another year or two.  There may be 2 or 3 changes/upgrades in graphics cards between now and then that could make a difference even tho both manufacturer's currently claim support for them 'in their newer iterations' - So... it remains to be seen how good support really is for the new DX 12 architecture. All of this is My opinion.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

Assuming it's not upgraded, what would last longer. Person that's getting it doesn't care about stuttering or resolution. Just wants games playable for as long as possible. Probably going to ask if I could get a used GPU.

We may not 'see' many games taking support of DX12 for another year or two. 

A chunk of already released games are due to receive a update to it on launch, Nvidia is also really pushing it, and all the AAA devs have been dying for a back-end update for years now.  I doubt smaller titles will support it, but I don't think they'd need the extra girth either. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hello,  You seem to be building this for another person.  Your opinion of 'playable' could be far different than my opinion of 'playable'  In my opinion if your framerate drops below 55FPS in a first person shooter or high action game and even some games like skyrim when there is a lot of action on the screen then I consider it unplayable.  In my opinion, It takes you out of the immersion intended by the devs of playability that I personally consider unacceptable.  Lend to the fact that so many gamers (even gamers that have been gaming a long time) do not seem to know the difference between Hard drive lag/system lag/video (lag/stutter)/Video tearing/network latency/server side latency) and seem to confuse the many different kinds of lag and use the word lag to encompass any and all kinds-- honestly it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference unless your at the machine (and know the difference).  Which will last longer well .. that's a loaded question.  As I said I tend to lean towards a solution that is only 1 card.  There's aleady enough heat going on in a computer to add another card to generate more heat / more power requirements.  This is all my opinion of course.  SLI ... in my opinon was 'created' when cards like the old 3dfx ones could not provide enough gpu power to give a minimum of 55 FPS constant in DOOM.  And first person shooters.  I simply do not see the point nowa days where this is  not the case.  Is it a bling factor .. of course it is.. But if a single card can do the power of 2 .... than I want the one.  In my opinion.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 05 June 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hello,  You seem to be building this for another person.  Your opinion of 'playable' could be far different than my opinion of 'playable'  

They're, to put it bluntly, a console peasant that plays on a SDTV. Has a PS3 that they play badly ported games on that get bad frame stuttering and fluctuation. Uses a laptop with the older bad Intel integrated stuff they use to play mine craft at 10fps. Frame timing isn't important, resolution isn't important, and all that is important is that it runs the games for as long as possible. 

There is a "game line" where games become minimally playable. The higher the settings the higher that line is since the more detail there is the more detail is effected by that low frame rate (GD has a lot on the subject). Usually that line lays somewhere between 18 and 25 fps with low settings. Personally have played through the entirety of Resident Evil 5 with 22 fps using a cheap laptop. As long as this line is reached, I really doubt he'd care or notice. 

Most PC gamers have been there at one point. Where being able to play it at all is all that's important. 2 years on Atom netbook brought me great respect for my current rig. 

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

Well I guess I do not have much to add to this thread as it seems it's turned into more of a discussion than a help topic.  Which im not abhorrent to but I am Irish .... and german.. so I am stubborn and get frustrated/upset easy and stay that way forever... woe to those like me. LOL anyway Longevity of a graphics card... I still t hink a better card as a single solution will out live lower end cards in SLI... again .. my opinion. 118 views at the time of this post and I am the only one with an opinion?? Come on people...don't send me up the river alone..

Edited by YeahBleeping, 05 June 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:16 AM

Well I guess I do not have much to add to this thread as it seems it's turned into more of a discussion than a help topic.  Which im not abhorrent to but I am Irish .... and german.. so I am stubborn and get frustrated/upset easy and stay that way forever... woe to those like me. LOL anyway Longevity of a graphics card... I still t hink a better card as a single solution will out live lower end cards in SLI... again .. my opinion. 118 views at the time of this post and I am the only one with an opinion?? Come on people...don't send me up the river alone..

Will definitely try for the dedicated card and'll cut back else where/find deals to do so. Really been dying to see what the chip can do in person. Must be clouding my judgement. Want a mini ITX 10"x4"x5" build with it so bad. 

Also part German and fightback the personality trait daily to turn everything into a argument. Some times not so valiant or make compramises in the matter.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users