Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard overheated Aspire one

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Leon4256

Leon4256

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

Will the data on My hard Drive D be corrupted ,because my mother board overheated?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:16 AM

Hi and welcome Leon4256, 

The short answer to your question is "NO", but it's worth mentioning that overheating can cause damage to your other components, including the HDD. Laptop internal components are in tight spaces and usually if a motherboard/CPU is overheating, chances are the overall internal temperatures are high as well. If you give a bit more details about how did that happen, what temperatures exactly were reached and how are you monitoring them, than I can be more precise.  Keep in mind that hard disk temperatures higher than 45°C lead to higher failure rates, for the motherboards in general - Below 90c is generally considered safe temp, though the cooler it is - the better. 

My advice to you is - make a backup of your data and check the status of your drive via the manufacturer utility (or a third party software), than post the SMART results here. Then we'll be able to see what max temperature has the drive reached and will be able to determine if any actions should be taken. 

Waiting for your response, Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 05 June 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#3 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:57 PM

Hello.Im sorry for the late reply, I plugged my old hard drive to my new computer but it is hanging or taking forever to load.

Edited by Leon4256, 06 June 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:02 AM

Okay for clarity here, in post number 3 you say you plugged your old hard drive into your new computer, are you saying you took the hard drive from the overheated system and placed it into another computer?

If so, was it as a slave drive or secondary drive?

If I am still off with my assessment, are you stating you placed an older drive into the computer system that over heated?

Sorry for my misunderstanding you, but I want to be clear as to what you're doing before I offer my help.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

i used an HDD enclosure for my old drive the connected it via USB to my new laptop

#6 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:10 AM

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61mVqj9NFEzM19fNTR0V3BOUlk/edit?usp=docslist_api
This is the photo of my old HDD

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:46 AM

Okay, the question I have for you is what happened with the over heated motherboard? Is it toast?

I can not say for sure if your motherboard failure would damage the hard drive, but I am curious why your motherboard over heated. Was it an electrical issue? Such as an electrical short?

My questions may sound off to you, but I have electronics repair experience and wish to know what caused the motherboard to overheat. An overheated processor might not cause injury to a hard drive, but an electrical short of some type might.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

The Fan of my old laptop malfunctioned. And it caused the motherboard to overheat.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:28 AM

Okay so let's assume that heat affected the hard drive. What you are experiencing now is when you try to access that drive through a hard drive enclosure it is not allowing you to access that drives contents is this correct?

Bruce.

#10 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

it is just loading

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

it is just loading

And it remains there at the status infinitely?

Are there any signs that the motor in this hard drive is spinning?

You'd be able to tell by a vibration coming from the hard drive that the motor is still functioning.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 June 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#12 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

the loading remains infinite,and the hard drive is spinning

#13 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

this is the screenshot. the name of the hard drive is local disk G
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61mVqj9NFEzeXRpNDRWaWhudUE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Edited by Leon4256, 07 June 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

I believe that the controller board on that hard drive may be damaged. It may have fallen victim to that overheating issue you spoke of.

Bruce.

#15 Leon4256

Leon4256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

OK,Should i try another HDD enclousure Because the one i bought is cheap about $4?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users