Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons won't stay where put ..

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

Hello

I have Win7 home premium on a laptop.

I set my desktop icons up on the desktop in positions I like them to be in, however, about 1 out of 3 times when I start the computer up, they all move to the left hand side of the screen. Very annoying.

I don't think it's because they are too big or too many of them - I've got them all in small size, and there's not too many of them - and they are certainly well away from the four edges of the screen, thus not being .. 'pushed over to fit' at start up.

Also, I've gone to .. personalise, windows color, appearance, advanced settings, and played around with the icon spacing, but to no avail. It definitely doesn't seem to be a spacing problem.

What can I do to keep them permanently in position please?

Any help would be appreciated.

JA

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

The simplest cure for this is to RIGHT click on a blank piece of screen (ie not on an icon) and select 'View' from the contextual menu that appears. Then make sure that 'Auto arrange icons' is unticked. If you like your icons in neat lines select 'Align icons to grid', this merely arrange neat spacing vertically and horizontally and they should stay where you put them.

The only exception to this in my experience is if you start the computer in 'Safe mode', sometimes I have had to totally re-arrange them afterwards but by no means always.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:57 PM

Hello Chris and thank you for the reply.

1) I have never had 'auto arrange icons' on. Always unticked.

2) I have tried both ticked and unticked 'align icons to grid'. No difference to my problem.

3) I don't ever do 'start in safe mode'.

So I'm still at a loss as to how to fix this. Just turned my lap top on  .. there they are again bunched up in the top left hand corner, running vertically ... arghhhhh !!!

Edited by jargos, 06 June 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#4 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Also, I should add, I have twice as many icons (about 48) on my other (desktop) computer, which runs Vista, but have never had that problem. They are always exactly where I put them.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

Sorry, I've run out of ideas but you could have a look at either of these references :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/windows-7-desktop-icons-keep-moving/f6aeb3ae-17cb-4336-bef8-08a68d6a6dd0

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/37635-63-desktop-icons-moving

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hi again Chris. I just read through all the eight pages in the microsoft forum link you gave above. If anything, it goes to typify how blatantly disregardful of customers actual needs, Microsoft and others, have become - because there was not ONE constructive comment therein, from any MS technician !!!

In any case, what I gleaned from it all, was that the solution could be as simple as the notes contained in page 6 of that thread, being ..

1-MOVE YOUR ICONS WERE YOU WANT
2-RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP
3-SCROLL TO VIEW
4-TURN OFF BOTH "ALIGN ICONS BY GRID" AND "AUTO ARRANGE ICONS"
5-THEN HIT YOUR REFRESH BUTTON
6- RESTART YOUR COMPUTER
6-ICONS SHOULD BE AT THE SAME LOCATION

I tried this, and have done 5 start ups on my laptop - all good so far. There is a further variation of these steps in the last post of that thread, being ..

I think I've found the solution.

Right Click on Desktop - Untick Auto Arrange,

Set the icons out as you want them.

Right Click Desktop - Click Refresh

Right Click Desktop - click Personalise

Click Save Theme - give it a name.

If the first lot fails, I will try that.

As I said, the appalling thing about all this is how little MS cares, and how, whilst they create every manner of gizmos and brilliant garbage, they pay NO attention to this, something that is obviously troubling a lot of their users !!!

Thanks again for your time and the link.

Edited by jargos, 07 June 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#7 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

Also, just read the 2nd link given by Chris, above, and this comment (April 2015) seems to be quite valuable, and seems to have worked for many ..

If using windows 7 right click on the desktop go into personalize, click on change desk top icons on the left of the screen, a new box opens un-tick the Allow themes to change desktop icons box... problem solved.

#8 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

Just an update if anyone is interested ..

The problem persists. Icons again migrating to left hand side of page. Nothing works permanently.

I have posted query on the microsoft website

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/cant-make-icons-stay-put-no-matter-what/27d40664-ee90-4658-8e3b-2366da18811f?tm=1434162046007

Lets see what the might of the Microsoft Corporation has to offer about fixing their product.

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:38 AM

Jargos,

I take it from your description, this is fairly new behavior.  Please, do a System Restore to a date prior to this behavior 1st appearing.  And, please, let me know the situation after the SR is done.  Thanks.  Depending on the results, will consider next steps, @ that point.

Are we sure this machine is malware free?

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 13 June 2015 - 01:39 AM.

#10 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:04 AM

Hi Drew and thanks for the reply.

About SR, well, a couple of days ago I did a comprehensive disk clean, which included cleaning all but the most recent restore points. The icon probelm is about a month old - I struggled with it for a few weeks trying to work it out for myself, prior to seeking help here. So I don't think an SR would help.

I am fairly sure the machine is malware free. I took up a full trial of Malwarebytes and ran full scans (always with full updates) often, with no sign of any problem or infection. Most recent full scan was yesterday - clear.

Aslo, Adware cleaner is a real gem (thank you publisher) - it picked up several problems on the computer (desktop) I am using for this, but NONE on the laptop in question. Also, I do full (not quick) scan with MSE often, and nothing picked up on laptop.

I don't know what to do next.

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

Sorry, I do not agree.  I, still, advise, do a SR to more than a month ago, then see where things stand.

Cheers,
Drew

#12 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:01 PM

Hi Drew, yes, I read your advice.

But as I said, I only have a system restore point of 3 days at the oldest, as I cleaned all the rest up as mentioned in my previous post.

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:37 AM

Hi Drew, yes, I read your advice.

But as I said, I only have a system restore point of 3 days at the oldest, as I cleaned all the rest up as mentioned in my previous post.

If there is no restore point old enough nor can you create one then, you may not like what I advise or would do...

Save any important date & put it back to Factory or do a Recovery or Re-install the OS.

Have seen the movie enough times.  It puts things right w/ certainty and is less time, trouble & fuss... it's not worth mucking about w/ it.  Bite the bullet & start anew.

Cheers,
Drew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users