Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 465 - Windows 7 - Code 43

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ViridianScourge

ViridianScourge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:29 PM

Some background: My computer restarted for what could only be Microsoft Updates. Upon restart, got the white lines on my screen that means the video card driver is probably hosed. The icon in device manager shows a small yield sign, and says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" I've tried the usual:

-I restored to a point before the updates. Still not working. Sure enough, when checking the installed Windows Updates, the latest was from 5/24, which was way before my card stopped working.

-I updated the driver to the most recent version (9.18.13.4752, 2/5/2015). Not working.

-Tried less recent drivers. Not working.

-Uninstalled the video card hardware from device manager, scanned for hardware changes, and still no go.

-Read a guide that told me to do a "completely fresh" install the required me to go into add/remove and uninstall all version of Nvidia software (I had about 6 r 7 in the list, so I thought this was a good first step) and then delete all Nvidia folders/files from C:/. While I didn't do the whole guide (It wanted me to do stuff in the registry), this didn't work either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

If this is a desktop, can you remoove the card and use the default VGA graphics on the motherboard?

If that works I'd suggest a new graphics card.

Dick

Edited by dicke, 08 June 2015 - 11:49 AM.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

I would -

1st use sfc /scannow to check any corrupted MS files

2nd check for bad sectors on the hard drive  chkdsk /f  and then check for windows updates

3rd use Display driver uninstaller (being sure not to install any 3rd party applications) use option uninstall and restart

4th Download and install the newest nvidia drivers

5th Check for windows updates

Let us know if you need further help with any of the above

#4 ViridianScourge

ViridianScourge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:10 PM

I haven't tried to rip out the card just yet. I did unplug it and reinsert it to make sure the connection was good. Won't taking out the video card remove the ability to plug my screen in? (Sorry, obviously not hardware savvy)

Although someone did point out to my they don't think it's my video card. The white lines appear as soon as I turn the computer on, not after the BIOS message. They said a video card issue would not enable the lines to appear that quickly. Oddly enough, in Device Manager, the yield sign is still near the card though...

As for the other steps...

#1) I get a note: Verification was 100% Complete, Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but were unable to fix some of them.

#2) chkdsk on OS drive © came back with no errors.

#3) Used the uninstaller. It uninstalled everything perfectly, even the ones I couldnt uninstall in add/remove.

#4) Installed the newest drivers for my card, and checked "Clean install" to ensure there was nothing left of the old drivers.

#5) Installed 1 critical and 12 optional updates. Still haven't fixed the issue.

Any other ideas?

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

Have you tried a different monitor?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

You haven't posted which operating system you are running.

If this computer is not running Windows 8/8.1 please boot the computer into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode uses a limited amount of drivers and applications.  It does not use the Nvidia drivers for the graphics, it uses a native Windows driver.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode this would be a strong indication that this problem is driver related.

To boot into Safe Mode begin with the computer shut down.

Press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key and do so until the Advanced Boot Options screen appears.

Use the up or down key to move the pointer over Safe Mode, then press Enter to select Safe Mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ViridianScourge

ViridianScourge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:49 PM

@dicke, I was running dual monitors before this issue. Now my second monitor won't display at all (possibly because the video card is erroring out).

@dc3, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. The lines appear in safe mode as well.

To see what I'm seeing, some screenshots:

What device manager shows for the GPU:

http://i.imgur.com/kivgIWM.png

GPU Error in device manager:

http://i.imgur.com/QMXpK7u.png

Showing the GPU is up-to-date (I have tried older versions as well)

http://i.imgur.com/C0BZrrx.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

Since it is happening in Safe Mode I believe your GPU is failing.  If there is integrated graphics on the motherboard, pull the dedicated board and see if the integrated runs without these problems.  If it runs without any problems... there's you answer. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users