Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Computer For Media Serving And Video Editing What Do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dazza555

dazza555

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hi all

In about 2 months time I will be buying a new desktop computer or perhaps the parts to assemble one depending on the advice I receive here. So I'm here to get some advice on where to start and some help to guide me through the process of designing and purchasing my new machine.

Basically I'm after 4 things from my new computer:

1- Media serving. The computer will be hosting about 3TB (and growing) of music, video and photos which will be accessed through serviio by my smart TV, phone, xbox and laptop computers. The computer will be connected to my wifi router via Ethernet so a wifi card is not a must but would be handy.

2- Video Editing. I do a lot of video editing, mostly editing and encoding home movies so they can be burnt to DVD. The problem is when I get these files they can be anything so I need a computer capable of editing anything from 360p right up to 1080p. Also I'm a bit of an armature photographer but I figure if the system can handle 1080p video surely it'll handle 16MP RAW picture but to be sure that's also what I'll be working with.

3- Basic computing. Seems strange to mention it I know but the reason I do is because while I'm doing the basics such as working in Microsoft office and researching online (I'm currently studying at uni and forever researching papers) the computer is still going to be media serving on my home network and I don't want the system to slow to a grinding halt if I'm typing an essay while someone is watching a video on the smart tv in the next room. As for games I do enjoy age of empires and serious sam all of which my netbook can handle so no big tasks. I also used to play diablo and have been meaning to look into diablo 3 but that's probably as high end as I will go for games.

4- Upgrade-able. I want to keep this computer for several years to come and rather than replace it when I need more speed or grunt I would much rather be able to plug in some extra ram and upgrade components if they wear out.

So the big question on my mind is is it better to buy a ready made computer from somewhere such as MSY or PCCG or am I better buying the parts I need and assembling my own Machine? I have never built my own computer before but I'm confidant in my skills with electronics to do so but am not eager to jump to the idea. If the savings are going to be hundreds of dollars or it's the only way to get the machine I need then I will build my own computer.

The next and most important question I have is specs. Based on what I need this computer to do what parts and specs will I need to have a computer that will be stable and reliable? What are the key specs I have to look for in my new computer.

At this point I have no budget to stick to but I also don't want to spend a small fortune. Basically I'd like to keep the price as low as possible but I am willing to pay to get what I need.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Edited by dazza555, 04 June 2015 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

1.  For media serving you could go either way, build or buy.  Since you're only serving up music you don't need much room for drives so you could go either build or buy.  I serve movies on my machine and have a dozen drives installed in my machine.

2.  Video editing an encoding you'll probably want to go Intel.  How many cores is up to you.  I'd recommend 8GB, possibly 16GB of RAM.

3.  Any machine that will handle your video work should run the games you're talking about no problem.  If you wanted to play higher end games you'll need a better video card and that would point more toward building, especially if you want to upgrade it later.

4.  Upgradeable normally points to building.  Manufactured machines have very limited upgrade options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users