Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Voltage Low Cost Machine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

Helllo, going to bulid a new machine i want a low voltage and low cost the chepist as poss. i will also let my sister use it for her msn, and genreal flash game and miniclip.com stuff. I really dont want to spend t hat much what shall i get. When i mean low voltage i want it cheap to run thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:05 PM

Helllo, going to bulid a new machine i want a low voltage and low cost the chepist as poss. i will also let my sister use it for her msn, and genreal flash game and miniclip.com stuff. I really dont want to spend t hat much what shall i get. When i mean low voltage i want it cheap to run thanks

It really would be better if you tell us your budget. Also, what can you bring to the table? That is, do you need a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers too?

I understand you are not looking for anything bleeding edge, top-of-the-line - but there are certainly a few areas that are worth putting a little extra money into now that will give you greater flexibility a year or two down the road. Buying a good power supply and case now, for example, will last you through several motherboard, RAM, drive, and video card upgrades. If you buy super budget case now, it may not allow for added drives, or extra cooling in the future. And budget power supplies are a bad idea IMO anyway - as they tend to be less stable, less accurate, and have very little overhead for any expansion. Even cheap cars need good clean fuel. Something to think about.

Do you have any experience building PCs?

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:15 AM

Even for a cheap computer, as Bill_Bright said, it's worth putting just a little extra in certain areas. You may not need expensive an expensive video card or RAM, but a Power Supply and Optical Drives (CD/DVD) are worth spending a little more on. These tend to burn out quicker than the rest of the computer (in my experience) and that would just mean some more money in the future. Keep this in mind while you're deciding on a PC.

Posted Image

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:35 AM

And what would you be using this machine for exactly? Surfing, music/videos, ect? And your budget would be nice to know. Do you want to build it or buy it?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

not really botherd. I can bulid it or buy it. But i think it will work out cheaper when buliding it. No i dont really need a kaybaord and mouse. Nope not moniter. Yes i do have experience of building a pcs.

Well i dont really know how much i should spend i guess i wont get anything under 100.00 would i.

Thanks you guys

not really botherd. I can bulid it or buy it. But i think it will work out cheaper when buliding it. No i dont really need a kaybaord and mouse. Nope not moniter. Yes i do have experience of building a pcs.

Well i dont really know how much i should spend i guess i wont get anything under 100.00 would i.

Thanks you guys

#6 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

Well, if your budget only allows for 100 quid, then you may be better off looking at used. I assume you are in the UK, I recommend you look at AriaPC and MISCO for some ideas.

Even if you go super cheap, you are still looking at more than 100. These are very low end examples just to give you an idea - but do note that I don't necessarily recommend any of them, noting that generally you get what your pay for - and when you buy low-end...!

Motherboard - Refurbished Foxconn 754 motherboard - 20.00
CPU - AMD Sempron 2600 - 37.50
RAM - 512MB PC3200 - 24.00
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 7000 - 17.00

Right there we've just about used up the 100 and we don't yet have a case, power supply, DVD/CD drive, hard drive, or an operating systems - all of which will cost at least another 100 and then you would end up with a system that I would not trust for any important work without some reliable back up system in place. Also note that includes a very low budget power supply and case. You could certainly shave off nearly 50 quid if you installed a free version of Linux.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

Well, if your budget only allows for 100 quid, then you may be better off looking at used. I assume you are in the UK, I recommend you look at AriaPC and MISCO for some ideas.

Even if you go super cheap, you are still looking at more than 100. These are very low end examples just to give you an idea - but do note that I don't necessarily recommend any of them, noting that generally you get what your pay for - and when you buy low-end...!

Motherboard - Refurbished Foxconn 754 motherboard - 20.00
CPU - AMD Sempron 2600 - 37.50
RAM - 512MB PC3200 - 24.00
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 7000 - 17.00

Right there we've just about used up the 100 and we don't yet have a case, power supply, DVD/CD drive, hard drive, or an operating systems - all of which will cost at least another 100 and then you would end up with a system that I would not trust for any important work without some reliable back up system in place. Also note that includes a very low budget power supply and case. You could certainly shave off nearly 50 quid if you installed a free version of Linux.

This morning the British pound is at $1.84 to one of our U.S. dollars, that means that Qas still has around $88.50 left over in U.S. dollars.

btw...that sign isn't a Brithish quid, it is the pound.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

i havnt had much experience with intel celeron processors are they good??

cpu http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/79737/rb/20286322521 - 28.46 inc fan

motherboard http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/105707/rb/20286359013 - 37.33 with onborad gfx card

ram http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/49447/rb/20286403241 25.50 - i could stick 128mb instead

a case is gonna be a tenner

i need a psu now this is where low power comes in

300w http://ebuyer.com/UK/product/49447/rb/20286403241 the lowest i could find

will this bulid a good system ?

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

For 200 = $370 you can get a nice meduim-low cost machine which includes a quality motherboard, case, power supply and PCI-E video card to go along with 512MB of memory and a DVD writer (great quality DVD writers are down to $35 / 19, so not to worry about this expense). Oh, and throw in a floppy drive.

I realize this is double your first cost goal, but I think you would be very disappointed with what you could buy with only that amount.

By a quality motherboard I mean an Abit, Asus or Gigabyte socket-939 with an Athlon64 processor with heatsink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users