Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery: Router Upgrade = Slower Speeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flips712

flips712

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hi,

My neighborhood recently switched to fiberoptics for Internet and TV. I was advised to upgrade my router to a dual band one so I got a TP-Link 1750(v2). Strangely my old "g" D-Link 601 router performed better wirelessly. Since installing the new router there is a delay when websites are loading, which I didn't get before.

I ran some speed tests and the latency rates were worse with the new router at 6, 8, and 72 on one occasion. Could the problem be that my computer is too old to play nicely with the new router? Should I ugrade my network adapter or other hardware? The router is supposed to be compatible with my OS, Vista. My pc is an '08 Thinkpad R61i. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Pauline
Flips712

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

Pauline,

Have you contacted the provider to see if they need to sync with your new router?

Dick

Edited by dicke, 12 June 2015 - 10:02 PM.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

I would think that it would be more of an issue with your cablemodem is it DOCSIS 3.0 compliant?  If not you may need to upgrade your cablemodem.

#4 flips712

flips712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

When my service provider, Hotwire Communications installed the fiber optics (Fision), they removed my old modem as they said it’s no longer needed. While I can’t guarantee anything, since all new wires and cables were just recently installed I’m assuming they used the most up-to-date equipment.

I decided to keep the dual band router, which is located in my living room. Although my signal strength is between 80-99%, at certain times I’m unable to stream movies continuously without receiving the buffering message. I’ve tried adjusting the Flash player settings but that didn’t help. My Flash Player and Router’s firmware are both up-to-date. Are there any router settings that can be adjusted to help with streaming videos without the buffering slowdown? A lot of my neighbors were on channel 6 so I changed to channel 1 but that made no difference.

Although my router is dual band I set it to only use the 2.4Ghz band since my laptop’s wireless card is old and only supports 11a/b/g so I figured it can’t utilize the 5Ghz band, right?? I ran a speed test while I was trying to stream a video, which kept pausing to buffer and this was the result: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4432964564 (Download speed 17.61 Mb/s, Upload speed 14.95 Mb/s, Ping 9ms).

I mostly use my laptop while in my bedroom. The router is installed in the living room of a one story condo. Although I’m getting a strong signal would moving the router to my bedroom allow me to stream movies faster without experiencing the buffering issue? Should I consider upgrading my laptop’s wireless card? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

[not an expeert on this]

To get the fastest speeds / best service I'm thinking that all of the components need to be able to use the latest technology. I suspect that the laptop cards inability to use the latest / highere speed may be part of the problem.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users