Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to replace internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

Computer in question: Dell Dimension 2400 Pentium 4

Once I replace the drive, I want to install 2 OS's on the drive: Linux, and, yes Windows XP SP3. I will then use Linux to connect to the internet, and XP for everything else until I can afford a new computer.  That should resolve the current security issues.  I have the reinstall disks, and I think I might be able to mirror the recovery partition from the original disk as well.  If I recall correctly, replacing the hard drive would not void my XP license as long as I get a Dell branded disk.

My current drive is, gasp, 11 years old.  It does have some bad sectors, but otherwise - so far - is running fine.  No clicking sounds or anything.  It is a Maxtor 6Y080L0 IDE ATA  80 GB drive

The Dell site only shows me a very expensive SSD drive which I DO NOT want nor can afford.

I'm looking at this drive on EBay.  I note that it is refurbished.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120GB-IDE-Hard-Drive-DELL-Dimension-2350-2400-3000-4500-4600-8100-8200-8250-8300-/261835270815?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf6992a9f

Will this work for me in my system?  Will I be able to retain my license?

Another possibility I just found is this one.  It is a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80GB-IDE-Hard-Drive-DELL-Dimension-B110-1100-2300-2350-2400-3000-4100-4300-/181735221271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a50436817

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:08 PM

A Dell hard drive has nothing to do with the licensing. It is all in the OS and BIOS of the computer. The OS has a SLP key that works with the SLIC BIOS. That is what allows the OS to be pre-activated. 

http://www.guytechie.com/articles/2010/2/25/how-slp-and-slic-works.html

You can use any hard drive as long as it is compatible, most likely a IDE drive by the age of the computer. I would suggest you create a disk image of the drive to a USB external drive using Macrium Free. Create the bootable disk in Macrium that will let you restore your disk image to a new drive. You would not need to worry about activation as everything would be in the image you created. Put in the new drive and then restore the image with the bootable Macrium disk. Your image would show as 80GB on the new drive. You could later expand it to want you want. Then install Linux. It would automatically use the unallocated space on the new hard drive.

After creating the bootable disk try it and make sure it can see all of your hard drives including the USB external drive. 

See this drive on ebay. It is 250GB which should suffice for your needs.

Edit: Are you saying you want to dual boot using two separate drives or off of one large drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2015 - 06:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users