Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD Doesn't Power Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sweetpea_cmb

sweetpea_cmb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

I have a SimpleTech external drive that hasn't been used in a few months.  I went to retrieve some pictures from it, and it would not power up once plugged in.  I know enough to know that the data is still there, so I did a bit of research.  Learned that I can connect a SATA to USB adapter to retrieve my data.  I cracked open the case, and it looks like I have a Western Digital Caviar HD...Green Power.  Went to buy a SATA/USB adapter from Radio Shack...they've closed down.  Best Buy was my only other option.  The Geek plugged it in and said my data was still there and I would be good to go with the SATA/USB adapter (SATA Wire 3.0 "Notebook Drive Upgrade Kit" by Apricorn).  I asked if I would need any sort of power cord...since it originally required one.  He said, "no."  Got home.  Plugged the wire into the HD and then plugged into my main desktop.  Nothing.  It's seems to me I probably need some sort of power source.  Can someone confirm and help me identify the type of cord that would give me power?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:55 PM

If the hard drive was a 2.5 laptop HDD then you do not need another power source. The USB cord supplies the power. If a 3.5HDD then you do need an external power source. If your computer is a desktop, try plugging into a back USB port. If your original enclosure had a power cord then I would think you would need one.

This is the adapter I use for connecting IDE and SATA drives. Both 2.5 and 3.5. It has a power brick in order to power 3.5 drives.

#3 sweetpea_cmb

sweetpea_cmb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

Thanks, JohnC!

It was an external HDD that I removed from it's case.  And it did originally have its own power supply.  This is what the Best Buy Geek had me buy:
https://flic.kr/p/tS5puF

Would it be best for me to return it, and instead purchase what you recommended above?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

Would it be best for me to return it, and instead purchase what you recommended above?

What you have bought is fine and should power up through the USB cable.

If it doesnt  you may have a faulty drive ?

You could try a working drive with the New Adapter to test,

Or try your drive in another PC ..{ Desktop } and see if it Spins up { Just connect the power connector }

if it does see if that PC can recognize it with the Data Cable connected also.

Otherwise get the PC shop where you bought the Adapter to test the drive , would take them 2 min.

Edited by Havachat, 04 June 2015 - 09:56 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

Your image shows a 3.5 drive and unfortunately you cannot power up a 3.5 drive with only USB power. You will need a power brick and and adapter as the one I showed on ebay. Take it back to best buy and get a refund. You could also purchase a 3.5 enclosure with separate power supply like this one.

Another thing. If your computer does not support USB3.0 then Best Buy should not have sold you a USB3.0 adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users