Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

A curious thing, whilst getting my desktop computer ready for reformat where I opened the case and gave it a good de-fluff and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU to heatsink assembly, I flipped the CMOS battery out and left it out for a while... what I usually do when I am in there.

Anyway on starting the computer I discovered something, well three things really, the grub menu of which never worked was working and I could access the Windows side as well as the two linux distros I have on the machine ( Petra Cinnamon and Rebecca XFCE). The other thing I discovered was despite my boot order being set to CD-ROM first, the CD-ROM doesn't start up and so the computer loads from the HDD of which is not what I was wanting. ( Mind I have been having problems with the DVD drive of late, same problem as I am experiencing now, but sometimes it ' catches ' and works, but not all the time, so I have been leaving the desktop on all the time)

The third thing I discovered was my original problem was still apparent, Rebecca XFCE was not recognising my password, of which is the same password for the installed distro I am online with now, (Petra) so something has gone wrong with Rebecca.

So, Bios, given what got fixed by wiping the bios memory by battery removal, can there be a problem with the bios ?

And Rebecca, the not recognising password issue, what's going on there ?

And finally the DVD drive, it not starting despite boot order, is it shot ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:10 AM

Rebecca XFCE was not recognising my password,

Reset the password for ROOT or any user in Linux Mint

#3 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

probably not your problem but sometimes when you set a password during initial config the default keyboard is set to "Qwerty USA"  so specially if you use symbols in passwords  this then changes if you have to change for "qwerty UK" or if you have a foriegn keyboard like Spanish, Swedish etc as many of the symbols are in different places

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

. . . opened the case and gave it a good de-fluff . . . CD-ROM doesn't start . . . 

Is it an SATA DVD Drive?  There may be a chance that you knocked the SATA cable loose from the drive, and it is not reading the drive properly.

This is a common problem with some SATA cables, that are just straight plug in, and do not have the catch release to prevent them from vibrating off.

Cheers!

Naught.

#5 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

I will be getting around to fixing the password issue very shortly... when my mind is again able and interested where it is I want to sort the password issue out just for the experience despite the fact that I intend to wipe both Petra and Rebbecca and put one Linux distro on there, posibly a 64bit as a dual boot for now seeing as I have regained access to Win 7 where my only program of interest is Photoshop, where I also have that on two other computers now..... I need back up machines, currently two laptops one of which is a Mac.

But if the DVD drive is shot, I do have another I can install of which I know works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users