Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected, I think. Nothing will run.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ginkasa2

Ginkasa2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:46 PM

This is on Windows 8.1.  My computer locked up two nights ago while trying to load something from GoG Galaxy.  Nothing was responding, so I had to shut it off via the power switch.  I left it for the night.  When I turned it back on and logged into Windows the next morning I received two strange error messages I had never received before: "EPU.exe has not digital sign" and "GpuBoostServer.exe has not digital sign."  Everything at first glance seemed find outside of these error messages.  I tried to open GoG Galaxy again, but it didn't open or do anything.  I clicked the icon and nothing.  I tried to open Task Manager to see if it somehow started running in the background, but I received an error message when trying to open Task Manager:

"The program can't start because credui.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem."

I wasn't sure how to "reinstall" Task Manager.  I tried a few other programs just to see what would happen.  Steam gave me an error that said "Failed to load steamui.dll" and Origin gave me an "update error."  Chrome worked, so I searched some of the error messages.  It seemed to indicate some files became corrupted from an improper shut down.  This made sense, but I did a quick scan on Windows Defender anyway just to be sure.  It found nothing and I was relieved, but I also like to run Malwarebytes, so I did.  Another error message: "The specified procedure could not be found."

I posted on a couple of subreddits looking for help.  I was still mainly thinking it was related to my hard shut down, but my only response thought it sounded like malicious software.  He provided me a link to this website to download rkill and then another program once rkill did its thing.  I tried every link provided on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/, but each one gave me the same error message: "The specified procedure can not be found."

Are there any other programs that could help?  I can't really think of what else to do besides just wiping everything and starting over...  Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ginkasa2

Ginkasa2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

I've also tried running the Malwarebytes Chameleon program, but none of those would work either.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

Not an infection but I believe file Corruption. I moved this to Windows 8.1 from AII for help.

Edited by boopme, 04 June 2015 - 03:23 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Ginkasa2

Ginkasa2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

That's what I thought originally, but I kept trying some fixes after making my post. I'm on mobile now, so can't go in to detail, but my computer ran worse and worse the longer it was on.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable)

- Download Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable Version) from here.

- Extract tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to your Desktop.

- Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
- Right click on QfBzvq1.png and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Windows Repair All-In-One.
(Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)

- A window will appear. Click Step 2.
2f8o60N.png

- Click the Open Pre-Scan button, then click Start Scan. Wait for Windows Repair to finish scanning.

- Depending on which error Windows Repair found, click Repair Reparse Point or Repair Environment Variable accordingly. When the button changes to "Done!", click the close button to return to Windows Repair.

- Go to Step 3, then click Check in the See If Check Disk Is Needed.

- If Windows Repair stated that errors are found, click Open Check Disk At Next Boot. Choose (/R) Fixes errors on the disk also locate bad sectors and recovers readable information, then click Add To Next Boot. Reboot the computer to let Windows check the disk.
Ymy7crZ.png

- Go to Step 4, then click Do It.
zDtdN75.png

- Go to Step 5. Under System Restore click Create.
f7lEe1N.png

- Go to Repairs and click Open Repairs. Leave all checkmarks as they are, then click Start Repairs.
PGv2vtD.png

- By default Windows Repair All-In-One will create a "Logs" folder in its folder on the Desktop. Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Ginkasa2

Ginkasa2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:05 AM

I downloaded the repair all in one and extracted it to my desktop as instructed.  I also turned off Windows Defender.  When I try to run the Repair_Windows app I receive an error message that states "The specified procedure could not be found."  I received this error both when I tried to run it as an administrator and not.

Is it possible my hard drive is failing? I've had it for about 3.75 years.

Edited by Ginkasa2, 05 June 2015 - 12:06 AM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

OK, I suspect a ZeroAccess or similar infection... These prohibit many things from running..
Let's do this and get a deeper look. I still suspect malware over the drive.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users