Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touch Screen / Mouse out of Control

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Krooz

Krooz

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

I have an HP Envy M7-J120DX-17.3" laptop running Windows 8.1. I've had this machine for about 8 months now and have loved it.

Over the last while now I've had an issue where I suddenly lose control of the mouse - the cursor starts jumping all over opening random things. I get the grey circles as when one touches the screen except they're popping up all over the place. I'll immediately shut everything down. When I reboot it doesn't show itself right off but eventually it returns.

I've attached a couple of images of the laptop screen so you could see what I'm dealing with - I've circled in red the "touches" that I could catch with my camera. The shots are of my desktop screen - the "touches" bounce around like fireworks going off but don't hit anything as they're more concentrated in the middle of the screen. If my Windows 8.1 screen was up, everyone of those "touches" that happened to hit a tile would open it. When on the internet it's a nightmare because bookmarks, links etc all can randomly be touched and opened. I had to drag the virus scan shown off to the side so it wouldn't get messed up during it's run.

I've had a lot of help from NASDAQ over in the Malware Log forums and we've run a bunch of scans but to no avail (the link is attached below):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577958/cursormouse-go-out-of-control-randomly-on-laptop/

Been through system restore, uninstalling the mouse, deactivating the touch pad, multiple virus searches/fixes - you name it. Sometimes I can surf for an hour or two - other times the laptop is unusable.

Has anyone seen this and is there anything else I can try? NASDAQ believes that it is not a Malware issue.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Attached File  Laptop Screen Shot.jpg   51.7KB   6 downloads

Attached File  Laptop Shot 2.jpg   33.13KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Varangian

Varangian

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hi Krooz,

I'm not an expert on this, but it seems similar to a problem that I've had with my Surface Pro 3.  If you live in a humid area, use evaporative cooling (swamp coolers), or accidentally leave the laptop in the bathroom while taking a hot shower,  moisture can get between the LCD and Digitizer assembly and create these "ghost touches" you are experiencing.  As you have mentioned the touches appear to be concentrated in the center line.  This could also be cause if you carry the laptop around by hand (like a book) and the pressure and friction (and sometimes sweat) from your arm can affect the screen.  

The way I have dealt with this before was to fold a large towel several times and place on a flat surface,  Prop the laptop with the back of the lid flat on the towels.  Take a hairdryer and carefully heat the screen to soften the adhesive between the screen and digitizer.  Then take a clean dry folded hand towel and with firm, but GENTLE pressure wipe from the middle of the screen outward.  Much like removing air bubbles from under a sticker.  Depending on how much moisture is trapped in the screen this may not work.  If this does not fix the issue, you could always go into Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and disable the HID-compliant touch screen, and just use it as a standard laptop.

#3 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Thanks Varangian. The laptop primarily sits on my bar and gets carried back and forth to my easy chair about 15' away, I rarely even close the lid. I do live in a humid area but we have HVAC so humidity should not be an issue. 

I've toyed with disabling the touch screen but hate to on a $1K laptop - granted though, I use the mouse way more than the touch screen. The "ghost touches" (I like that description) are what I would describe as frantic when they occur, sometimes even doing a brief touch and drag action here and there. I just re-upped to an extended warranty in case this turns out to be a hardware issue....

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

Let's try something.

Open the Search charm and type msconfig in the search box, msconfig will appear below the search box, click on it.

When System Configuration opens click on the Boot tab.  Then click on Safe boot.

Restart your computer.  The computer will boot into Safe Mode which has a limited amount of drivers and applications.  The graphics driver used in Safe Mode is a native Windows driver, your normal graphics driver will not be used.

Let me know if the problem persists in Safe Mode.

After you have finished and want to boot normally you will have to go back to the System Configuration and remove the check in the Safe boot box, then click on Apply, then OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

Thanks dc3, I'm in Safe mode with networking - we'll see how that goes!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode this will be a very strong indication that you have a graphics driver problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:07 AM

Well dc3, I thought you had something there. All afternoon yesterday it behaved. Surfed this morning (still in safe mode) and after about an hour it went bonkers again (ghost touches, touch and drag etc). I recorded it and snagged another image (attached). I finally caught all 3 frantic gyrations in one frame - this is quite disconcerting to watch as the screen goes crazy (the still image doesn't do it justice). I didn't shutdown this time but managed to get back to the desktop screen - it stopped after about 5 minutes and is usable again.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Attached File  Laptop Image 3.jpg   26.25KB   1 downloads

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

Let's try one more thing.  If this doesn't produce results I'm out of ideas.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Part A

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Part B

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Part C

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

(4)  If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmes If the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

When you are finished using the Clean Boot go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

To clear this item run the System Configuration Utility, then click on the check box to clear the item.

To open the System Configuration Utility:

(1) Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png

(2)  Click on Control Panel

(3)  Click on Administrative Tools.  

(4)  Double click on System Configuration.

If the Service or Startup item is identified please include it in your next post. 

Edited by dc3, 05 June 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#9 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Does this happen on battery, when plugged in, or both?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#10 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

Both actually.....

#11 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

dc3 - I did parts A/B/C. Since the start of trouble shooting my woes I'm down to only Windows Defender and despite all the disabling it says it's still protecting the computer. Should it have been disabled?  If it's OK running then I guess I can do some light surfing on the sites I trust.....

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

When you restarted the computer with all of the non-Microsoft services disabled does the problem persist?

#13 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Not showing as of now but that's the thing. Yesterday after going in to safe mode it worked fine. Then this morning all was well for about an hour before it flipped out - so it's a waiting game. Depending on what how it acts going forward, the elimination process might take a while due to the randomness of when it acts up.

#14 Krooz

Krooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Well, that didn't take long, about 5 minutes ago I walk passed the laptop and it was at it again. I'll peruse the steps in Option B then. Shall I undo what I did what I did in parts A/B/C/ before going forward?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

If all of the third party services are disabled and this still happened it is not one of those services.  Use the instruction at the bottom of my instructions to return the System Configuration to the original settings.

I've never seen this before.  Hopefully someone else will have a few pearls of wisdom to add to this.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users