Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YAC --- avoid!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

I tried to install YAC --- Yet Another Cleaner ---- after I read a very favourable review on the Softonic website.  However,  it kept disappearing after every download which eventually I traced to the fact that it was automatically being moved to quarantine by Malwarebytes.  When I queried this I was informed that it was a rogue program with a dodgy history and undesirable features, despite the fact that worldwide large numbers of people use it. 

One source says: YAC is essentially considered a non-beneficial Windows Optimizer and Antivirus by reputable security experts. The program is known to perform fraudulent computer scans in order to create customers and collect personal user information.'  For full details see the following two links:

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2015/03/yet-another-cleaner-yet-another-stealer/

http://botcrawl.com/remove-yac-virus/

The second article, besides condeming YAK, gives thorough guidance on different ways to uninstall it.  It seems it has a tendency to hang around even when no longer wanted.

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

We already know about it. There's a thread on BleepingComputer, looking for it now. It's months old. Also, never trust reviews on download websites like Softonic.

Also, Botcrawl isn't a good website as well, I suggest you to edit your post and remove the link to it.

Thead on BleepingComputer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568977/malwarebytes-definitions-stolen-again-this-time-its-yac/

Edited by Aura., 04 June 2015 - 10:49 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

More discussion in this topic.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Aura

Before posting I carried out a search for YAC on BleepingComputer but found little on it.  I will follow the link provided, only out of interest as Malwarebytes saved me from installing it.  I gather that it can be difficult to remove once installed.

clayto

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Too avoid diluting content related to YAC. This topic is closed.

Please continue discussions in one of the linked topics posted above.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users