Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Puppy Linux Tahr

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:07 AM

Thanks to this website I was able to fully install Puppy Linux on my netbook. I thought of opening a thread about setting Puppy Tahr up, not just for once cause but more any, just in case others want to share their issue here too.

At the moment, there are a few things I'd like to set up on Puppy (that I have noticed) and those are: the built-in camera and few keyboard functions.

-Camera: How can I set up camera?

-Keyboard: Is there anywhere I can manually set the keyboard up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:49 PM

Hi ry,

If nobody here knows the answers to these questions, I suggest asking on the Puppy forum.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

Hi Ry

How do you like puppy so far?

Camera: How can I set up camera?

What sort of camera? Web cam or the type you take photos with?

Keyboard: Is there anywhere I can manually set the keyboard up

How do you mean set up? Language or key bindings ( eg pressing alt/f4 causes browser to open?)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=845130

Linux Shortcuts and Commands

http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_1.htm

#4 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:01 AM

It's a built in camera, so it's a web cam. On the manual it says ''The built-in camera allows picture taking or video recording''.

About the keyboard, what I mean is, certain buttons like the START windows button don't have any use now, nothing happens by pressing them. So I was thinking if maybe there's a way to give it a command, make it useful instead of leaving it.. dead.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:05 AM

It's a built in camera, so it's a web cam. On the manual it says ''The built-in camera allows picture taking or video recording''.

My laptop has a built in cam, I have never tried it, I will look into it, It's kinda late now so sometimes tomorrow.

About the keyboard, what I mean is, certain buttons like the START windows button don't have any use now, nothing happens by pressing them. So I was thinking if maybe there's a way to give it a command, make it useful instead of leaving it.. dead.

Did you see my other post? There are 2 links, Have a read of both.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

I just tried out my USB webcam with Tahr Puppy. I just opened VLC media player, selected the "media" tab on VLC, then in the drop down menu, select "Open Capture Device" (all boxes were blank) then pressed "Play" in the window that opens when you select Open Capture Device, and VLC showed the picture from the webcam.

Regarding the keyboard, there will probably be a way to remap keys in Tahr, but unfortunately I don't know what it is.

Edited by Al1000, 05 June 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:17 AM

I just tried out my USB webcam with Tahr Puppy

Thanks Al, I wont need to do it now.

#8 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:04 AM

I did the same thing Al did and I successfully managed to get my built-in cam to function! It was just a snap shot through VLC and tbh it got a little stuck after that but nothing big I guess. I'll test it on websites like facebook and all that.

Nick, thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out!

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

Here's something else you can do in a frugal installation of Tahr for improved security, which will also extend the life of your SSD.

Under Utility --> Utility in the menu, select PupControl panel.

In PupControl panel click on the System tab, then press Event Manager.

In Puppy Event Manager, click on the Save Session tab, then change the save interval to 0 and check the box at the bottom of the window as in my screenshot:

pupctrlpanel_zps9mjziihv.png

Then in your menu.lst bootloader file, if the pmedia= option is set to pmedia=atahd, change it to pmedia=ataflash. If it already says pmedia=ataflash then just leave it as it is. If you don't have a pmedia= option, type it in where I've typed it in this menu.lst file below:

# Frugal installed Pups

title Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6 frugal (sda5)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /puppy528/initrd.gz
  kernel /puppy528/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=puppy528
  initrd /puppy528/initrd.gz
After rebooting, Puppy will no longer save anything to your SSD during the session, and will instead give you the option to save every time you reboot or shut down. The idea is that if you install anything, or make a new bookmark in an internet browser or whatever, then select "save" at shut down. Whereas if you haven't done anything that you want to save, select "no save," and nothing will be saved. So in the unlikely event of picking up any malware, it won't be saved either. This also means that if you inadvertantly mess Puppy up, or install something that doesn't work etc, there's no need to try to fix it, as all you have to do is reboot your computer without saving what you've done.

If you haven't already updated Package Manager, see link in my signature for how to do so. This gives you access to the several thousand applications in the Ubuntu Trusty Tahr software repositiries. Downloading and installing applications in Linux is simply a matter of deciding what you want, clicking on it, then it's automatically downloaded and installed. :)

Edited by Al1000, 07 June 2015 - 06:12 AM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:08 AM

I must try frugal sometime, I installed my pup to USB.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:54 AM

I used to have frugal installations of Precise and Lucid on my desktop pc, but deleted them a while ago as I hardly ever used them. Ever since then I've been looking for a suitable lightweight operating system to compliment Kubuntu. The main thing that I don't like about Puppy is the Gnome2 desktop that most of them come with. But I do really like Tahr, so when I discovered that there's a version of Tahr with the LXDE, I just knew that was the one for me. :)

While it's of course possible to install Puppy frugally on any Linux partition, whatever partition it's on effectively becomes Puppy's home partition, and so is always mounted, so for that reason I always like to have Puppy on a separate partition. While I was in GParted, I also created another couple of 20GiB partitions at the end of my first HDD so that I can continue to try out different Linux distributions. And there's plenty of space for more frugal installations of Puppy on the partition that I've once again dedicated to Puppy.

I've also discovered that there's a version of Tahr with the Xfce desktop, so I'll probably try it next. :)

Here's my custom Grub2 bootloader file at /etc/grub.d/40_custom for Puppy, which is on sda5.

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "LxTahr Puppy" {
set root='(hd0,4)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 3ffc6bc0-4379-4449-bbdf-4ae47c1cfdb5
linux /lxtahr15.05frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash pdev1=sda5 psubdir=lxtahr15.05frugal
initrd /lxtahr15.05frugal/initrd.gz
}

Edited by Al1000, 07 June 2015 - 06:55 AM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:56 PM

Al000, you  can have more than one Frugal Install of Puppy on one single partition?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:09 AM

Al000, you  can have more than one Frugal Install of Puppy on one single partition?

Yes, space is the only limiting factor regarding how many frugal installations of Puppy you can have on a single partition. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users