Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Wizard Insists I Install Sw For A Printer That Works

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikefocke

mikefocke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

Lexmark E210 printer. Works fine and has back through early days of XP. XP Pro fully patched now running.

When SP2 was installed (the day it came out), began getting (on every boot) a window advising me that I needed to install sw for my printer. My presumption is this is caused by an unregistered (but working fine) driver that SP2 suddenly doesn't like and no way is Lexmark going to rewrite it or register it for a printer so old.

Tried all combinations of power on and off at boot, deinstalling printer, reinstalling printer, etc.

If I just hit cancel in the install sw window that the printer wizard brings up on boot all if fine but it is a PITA and I'd like to get rid of the prompt.

No similar request for installation of a Epson printer.

Both printers USB 1 connected.

Is there some bit in the registry I can set to ignore the fact that the driver is unregistered? Other ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

The problem with Windows XP is that a lot of hardware and software no longer works with it. Now that SP2 is out there is more. The only suggestion that I have is to try running the printer under Windows 98 compatibility mode and see if that works. If that does not then I would suggest purchasing a new printer even though this one works after a fashion.

#3 mikefocke

mikefocke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:42 AM

Fully functional in all respects except for the annoying message at boot. I know, boot less often <grin>. Just trying to get XP to accept the driver without complaining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users