Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Page Scrolling Chattery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:42 AM

On my new Xfce-17.1-32bit install I'm having issues scrolling on the internet.  I was using Mate 13 and it was better, went back to see how much better, and can't go online with the outdated Firefox?  How are people supposed to try these out if they can't go online?

I don't want to re-install but it is very annoying like this, I just can't remember now how much better 13 was.  My question is, would it help if xforcevesa or something like this was added to grub?  I just tried it at boot but it did not seem to help.

Here is the graphics card I have

Graphics: Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA

Display Adapter bus-ID: 01:00.0

X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@61.0hz

GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:06 AM

Have you tried Mint 17.1 MATE on this computer?

When you say you can't go online, do you mean that there are some websites that won't display?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:16 PM

When you say you can't go online, do you mean that there are some websites that won't display?

Yes but graphics are not very good in word docs, which I am in a lot.

@pcpunk:  "I was using Mate 13 and it was better, went back to see how much better, and can't go online with the outdated Firefox?  How are people supposed to try these out if they can't go online?"

What I meant was, I could not go back to test Mate13 via LiveDVD because firefox is so out of date, version 12 I think.  I am in XP right now and scrolling is great, O-no! XP can't be better than Mint lol.

I guess I will go back and take another look at Mate17.1 but need to find something better for sure, Will also try Mate17.0.  I do like xfce for one simple reason, it's new, pretty fast internally, document graphics pretty good and, the Menu is expandable! I love that.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:17 AM

What?

So what operating system are you on now? Are you still using Xfce-17.1-32bit

Al1000, on 04 Jun 2015 - 7:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Yes you have tried  Mint 17 mate  or Yes you cant get  onto websites using browser?

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:18 AM

What?

So what operating system are you on now? Are you still using Xfce-17.1-32bit  Yes.

Al1000, on 04 Jun 2015 - 7:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Yes you have tried  Mint 17 mate  or Yes you cant get  onto websites using browser?  Yes 17, but not 17.1 yet.  I thought I tried 17.1 but now I am not sure.  I tried to download 17.1 tonight but got three bad downloads, from three different mirrors at linuxmint.com.

Answers in blue above.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:07 AM

I'm still not sure what the problem is with Firefox. Could you please clarify which one of the following is happening:

1) Your computer will not connect to the internet using Mint 13.

2) Firefox will not display any web pages at all and you get an error message when you try to browse any website.

3) Firefox will not display some web pages.

Edited by Al1000, 05 June 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

I'm still not sure what the problem is with Firefox. Could you please clarify which one of the following is happening:

1) Your computer will not connect to the internet using Mint 13.

2) Firefox will not display any web pages at all and you get an error message when you try to browse any website.

3) Firefox will not display some web pages.

1) Web pages keep trying to load but won't, they do display eventually but don't fully load.

2) Same as first answer, no error messages.

3) No web pages.

This is all while in LiveDVD with Ethernet/Comcast.

I tried this again tonight with Mate Rebecca and had the same issue? so not firefox.  I can't use wireless so can't rule out Ethernet connection being bad but I think that is what the problem is.  I use this connection all the time for internet but did have some issues downloading Mate Rebecca on this connection, I tried four times and got a bad download each time.  I downloaded at home and got a good one.  I think it is a connection issue, which is weird because I use this every night for internet and it seems fine.  I consider this problem solved, weird but must be a connection issue.  I will use the wireless from now on and see how that works for downloads.

Good new is, Mate17.1 scrolls way better.  While Firefox was trying to load I was able to scroll with it, and was good.  Can't believe how different these distro's are, and why one would scroll better on a web page than the other.

I think I will take a shot at installing Mate17.1 rather than 13, if anyone has any better advice please chime in.  There is a little Horizontal tearing on the screen, same as with mate13 but it does not bother me.  All while in Compatibility Mode, if not word docs are unreadable.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:42 AM

I consider this problem solved

Pleased to hear it.

I think I will take a shot at installing Mate17.1 rather than 13, if anyone has any better advice please chime in.

I would go with whatever you think is best. It's your computer so you are the best judge of what works best. :)

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:19 AM

On my new Xfce-17.1-32bit install I'm having issues scrolling on the internet.  I was using Mate 13 and it was better, went back to see how much better, and can't go online with the outdated Firefox?  How are people supposed to try these out if they can't go online?

By creating a Flash drive installer & leave some space for persistence, this will allow one to update Firefox to the latest version. Just update what's needed to test drive the OS (including Flash), not over 1GB of updates, unless one's using a 8GB Flash drive or larger, which still won't be fully used, as the persistence is limited to 4GiB (imposed limit for FAT32). 

I've used a 2GB SD card for this purpose & was able to create nearly a 500MiB persistence file & still use this card attached to a USB card reader for all of my Linux installs for the last couple of years. If there wasn't a limit of one for the 99 cent sale, would have purchased 5 of the SD cards, these are neat to test drive & install Linux with. 

Just be sure to remove the Medibuntu repositories from the updater for version 13, otherwise there will be errors, it's no longer maintained. 

As to your graphics card, while I've installed Windows & Linux OS's on many computers, have never ran across this card, so cannot comment on it. Though I believe it was covered in some of your other Topics pertaining to that computer. 

I say try 17.1 & work backwards, you can also try version 17 before the 17.1 upgrade. All of the other versions (14 through 16) are unsupported. 13, 17 & 17.1 are the only supported ones left. On that notebook, I suggest either XFCE or MATE. You can try KDE, though it's a bit more graphic heavy (due to the eye candy) than the others. Forget Cinnamon, while it may install & you can use the computer, I just don't believe your graphic card is up to the task. Heck, even my 2011 model MSI with dual graphic cards (Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA Geforce GT425M) didn't like that version too good. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

That's great guys, I ended up with the Mate17.1 and it is working fine.  Less work as the "b43.blacklist=yes" does not need to be done in Compatibility Mode, nor  the Medibuntu repositories tweak, and the online drivers for this are easily installed now that we have worked through SamGunn's pc, takes about thirty seconds max to install that.

I also installed Timeshift right away and got a copy of fresh install.  Internet scrolling is good, don't get it but that's just the way it is.  I already had xfce installed cat.  Will have to ask SamGunn if his scrolling is bad also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

nor  the Medibuntu repositories tweak,

Which isn't an issue with 17.1 (or 17), that's for those running Mint 13. 

Medibuntu has been removed from those repositories & it was with versions 15 & 16 also. I never used version 14, so cannot say it it's in that one or not. 

The main thing is that Mint 17.1 is working for you. Sometimes the scrolling can be bad for those whom uses a wireless mouse or an overly sensitive track pad. In the case of a wireless mouse, the fix is simple, remove the receiver & plug back in. That's not just a Linux issue. 

Good Luck with 17.1! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users