Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my graphics card broken?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ivy.league

ivy.league

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hey Guys, can anyone help me figure out if my gigabyte gtx 560 ti graphics card is broken please?

The issue started last night while I was watching a movie. That zzzz noise for a BSOD started and then the screen went black with white lines through it. I restarted my computer and it loaded into BSOD 0x00000116. I then shutdown the computer, started it up again, and everything was back to normal. I checked in event viewer though couldn’t find any errors corresponding to the time the computer initially froze. Later that night while gaming it happened again, so I went to bed. This morning the computer worked perfectly while net browsing. Only a few mins into gaming it froze again, black screen with white lines. Now the computer is constantly loading into the BSOD 0x00000116.

The only change I have made recently to my computer is installing the latest nvidia driver to play the witcher 3. I installed the driver about 2 weeks ago and had no issues up until last night.

Troubleshooting I have tried so far – 

I removed the graphics card from the motherboard and plugged my monitor into the on board graphics display port. The computer works normally

Checked all power cables to PSU and GPU

Removed then inserted graphics card back into motherboard.

Graphics card has been recently air cleaned. Have been checking GPU temperature while playing witcher 3 and it hasn’t gone over 70 degrees Celsius.

I also tested a different monitor and cables to the GPU which had no effect.
When the graphics card is connected it does power up. Both fans spin

Ran a MEMTEST returned 0 errors

(with my monitor connected to the graphics card for the below)

When graphics card is connected and nvidia drivers installed computer loads to BSOD 0x00000116 with lines through it.
When graphics card is connected and nvidia drivers are NOT installed windows loads up and works, though it has all the lines across the screen and the resolution is out.

My computer specs - 
Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500k

8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
650W Corsair PSU
Gigabyte GTX 560 ti

Windows 7 64bit
the whole setup is about 3.5 years old now

I’m almost at the conclusion the graphics card is broken. I’m thinking of disassembling the graphics card, cleaning the thermal paste off, then applying a heat gun to the chip to get the solder to flow again. Hopefully a temp fix while I can save up for a new one. If anyone can confirm that it’s my graphics card that is broken, that would be great thanks.

Edited by ivy.league, 04 June 2015 - 03:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:02 AM

Sounds like you've already done everything I would recommend.  What is the operating temp for your card?  70 degrees Celsius is 158 Fahrenheit.  Any possibility the card is under warranty? 

#3 ivy.league

ivy.league
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. It sits around 50°C (122°F). Unfortunately the card is no longer under warranty.

Guess I'll give heating the chip up a shot tomorrow, like this site recommends http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-fix-a-graphics-card/

Will report back on how it goes. Nothing to lose if the card is already broken.

#4 ivy.league

ivy.league
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:36 AM

Thought I would give heating the card up a shot, to get the solder to reflow.

Disassembled the card(basically just removing the heat sink) this morning and cleaned thermal paste off.

Baked for 8 mins at 195C, turned off oven, then opened the over door after 1min, allowed card to cool for 45min.

Applied fresh thermal paste, re-assembled, card is working again :)

I've heard mixed reports of people's cards working after baking between 2weeks to 1 year. At least this gives me some time to look for a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users