Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using my pc for recording music

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:19 AM

I am shopping for a  Windows 7 build, planning on using my pc to make home music recordings. I would like to have something similar too a stereo equalizer so I can alter my recordings to suit my sound preferences. Unfortunately I know very little about this subject and need someone to point me in the right direction for info. Both in parts needed and how it is done. I need to know if I need a system incorporating i7 verses i5, for example. How much power do I need in comparison to a standard build. Does it need as much as is required for gaming (I am not really into gaming). 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:46 AM

For recording music all you need is an i5, this is not a very power intensive task. Remember to record in 32 bit so that you can decimate at will, and never, ever, add eq while you are recording. That will bake the eq into the recording forever. Always add eq during in post recording processing, that way you can undo it anytime you want. If you have Pro Tools, you will be set to go.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/pro-tools​

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-tools-software​

Don't be intimidated, I have had a DAW set up for several years. A DAW is what you make it, it can be as simple or as complex as you want. Start simple, and build from there. I built my first DAW around a cheap HP desktop computer, but you can use a decent laptop.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

There are a number of external USB driven devices to do what you're looking for.  Some from Creative also have a sound studio as part of their software package.  I agree with Rocky, recordings should be as full of content as possible and equalization should only be done on playback or in the studio to eliminate unwanted elements.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

Yes, he will need some outboard accessories, including a nice ADC. I have actually seen a lot of nice ADCs on the market lately, and this is one device that you do not want to skrimp on because it is probably the most important piece of eqipment in the entire chain. And as a side not, please, please, please avoid mastering your final product too loud. Avoid the loudness wars at all costs and try to maintain the dynamic integrity that is inherent in the original performance.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

I've transposed thousands of tapes, LPs and 45 vinyl media through a sound card and a few tips are necessary.  The input content to be recorded needs to be full content, volume, treble, bass controls should be adjusted to provide the range but not over driven.  Volume levels should be kept below "0" on a VU meter and not above.  Many formats for recording are available.  CD players use the  .WAV format, 16 bit, PCM stereo.  Many users "rip" their music into .MP3 format to save file space but a playback of one selection, one .WAV format and one .MP3 will reveal what the conversion from analog to digital does to media content.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

My impression from reading the opening post was that the OP is interested in recording live music. Of course I could be wrong, in which case his DAW could be a much simpler arrangement.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

To the OP, what will you be recording? Will you be recording simple talk from a microphone, a live band with a lot of electric instruments, or are you talking about ripping a vinyl or CD collection?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Depending on exactly what you are planning on recording, there is some good information in this thread;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565574/audio-recording-both-direct-and-microphone-fades-out-and-becomes-distorted/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 TempleCat

TempleCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

I'm mainly going to be recording my own material. I play guitar and sing, a friend plays bass and she can help me put some ideas together. So far I have eight songs written. Most of my music will be acid rock with a bit of reggae for good measure. I'm not in a hurry to make an album as I don't have a complete band yet. But I want to get my ideas going, and since my pc situation has been crap for a good while, I am going the "build my own" route. Too much wasted money and silly aggravation on store bought units, not going there.

But I will also be doing lots of web surfing of course, and youtube. Staying with Windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users