Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell pc won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DELLXPOOPS

DELLXPOOPS

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:12 PM

Hello ,

I have a 10 year old DELL XP PC  that was running fine until yesterday. We accidentally moved a digital camera that was connected to the PC with USB cord. The battery cover popped open from the camera and sparks flew out. After that the monitor went blank and the power light on the PC was dark even though the PC was still running. He panicked and unplugged  everything. Now it won’t turn on again. I tried different outlets  and opened the PC case and didn’t see anything different or burnt out.

Any ideas of what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

Hello DELLXPOOPS:

Sadly your post reads like the coup de grâce may have ended the long career of the Dell computer.

Yet it might be helpful for others to reply with the computer's 7-character Service Tag number though...

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/locate-service-tag

Just in case, you may wish to consider your next plan to recover files/documents not otherwise stored. :(

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 DELLXPOOPS

DELLXPOOPS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

Fyi--it turned on ..with the trick where you hold down power button while you plug it in., but still showed nothing on screen.

Then we turned it off and it would not turn on again.

So here's the service tag #  For anyone with help on this.

cfee44484219e6a

Thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

I am not sure if this is a laptop or desktop. If a desktop unplug the cord from the PSU, hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and reboot. If a laptop, remove the battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power adapter but do not replace the battery. Reboot.

If that does not work then you probably have a hardware problem. You would need to remove the HDD and attach to another computer either internally or using a USB enclosure to recover any data.

That is not a correct service tag number. For a desktop, it should be shown on the side of the computer case or on the bottom of the laptop

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/category/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/locate-service-tag

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#5 DELLXPOOPS

DELLXPOOPS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

The correct service tag is d8sfd61.

I want to mention that the Keyboard lights light up and fans are running , just nothing on screen.we even tried a different monitor.

Also, the service lights in back are not on nor the power button light.

#6 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

Hello DELLXPOOPS:

Even though you may have some valuable files/documents on the system's hard disk drive (HDD), a ten and a half-year-old failed Dell Dimension 3000 is now not worth your additional time nor money outlay.  I urge you in the strongest possible terms to stop where you are and invest in a replacement computer.

You may even find a much younger, yet recently retired system, for free or very little expense.  If the data on the Dim3000's HDD was not severely corrupted, recovery of your documents/files is still probable to your replacement computer. The HDD, in the failed system, is almost certain to have an IDE/EIDE/PATA interface, but it can still be dealt with.

I wish you the best of luck.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#7 DELLXPOOPS

DELLXPOOPS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

RIP dell ...

Thanks for the help.

Suggestions for finding a replacement?

Much obliged..

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

If you live near a staples or best buy check out the weekly ads. Staples has good deals on their website for clearance items. You should be able to get a good deal on a computer just before Windows 10 arrives around July as the stores will want to get rid of their Windows 8.1 stock.

If you are not moving the computer around and you have the space, I would recommend a Desktop as those are easier to repair. 

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

RIP dell ...

Thanks for the help.

Suggestions for finding a replacement?

Much obliged..

Go to Ebay.  I just bought two Dell Latitudes there, for $100 and $200 respectively, solid machines I know already, D630 and E6410.  They are Win7 64 bit, which I wanted to add to my collection (normally I use 32-bit).  I also bought 10 Dells from dellauction and dell outlet, some as cheap as $200, which are off-lease machines Dell refurbishes and some have 3-year warranties.  All were Win7 (well wait, one was Vista Business).  Each of these machines had at least 4GB of RAM, most were i5 but I like Core 2 Duo Optiplexes and the D630 is that as well.

In short, you get a lot of machine for little money, and these are workhorses, not the flimsy Dimension (which I also have and frankly one of them has lasted over 10 years with no hardware problems) or Inspiron or Studio.  The latter three are consumer grade, nowhere as good.

As for your expiring hard drive, look at Amazon for some kind of external IDE connetor with a USB or SATA adaptor at the other end.  They exist, but I forget the models.  Then you can hook up your old hard drive externally, and CLONE it with Clonezilla (follow Windows Method B here, http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php ).  Good idea to use Clonezilla on any machine you have, because a clone is a live bootable replica of your hard drive.  If you can't clone it, the drive is dead.  If you can clone it, then maybe buy an older Dell which has IDE.  But frankly if you can clone it, then you can clone it into a new machine, or just have the clone available and 'tap into' it from time to time, FROM your new machine.

Linux helps you do that, but right now maybe you're not in the mood for another new OS to learn. :)

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users