Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 bit Professional missing icons in Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 charles1867

charles1867

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

This seems to be new problem, computer is Dell XPS 8700 and has card reader on front panel.

Until recently Computer showed Hard Disk Drive OS C and DVD  RW Drive D. It also showed

each of the 4 card reader connections with Drive letters even with nothing plugged into them.

Now computer is only showing the Hard Drive C and the DVD Drive D, none of the card reader

connections are shown.  I found in control panel Folders view where can make check to show or

hide empty disk drives.  I have it unchecked for not to hide, tried check hide and unhide with

restart after each change and has no effect.

Am I looking in the wrong area to correct problem as when plug in like a digital cameria memory

card it comes up displayed and works ok.  When remove the memory card the drive disappears.

This may have occurred after Windows 7 repair disk was completed.  Can someone give me

some ideas on how to correct?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tenrage

Tenrage

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670504

That's what he wanted to link.

#3 charles1867

charles1867
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:35 PM

I guess its just not my day, both links go to Microsoft Support and advise page not available.

I will keep trying and thanks

#4 Tenrage

Tenrage

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:49 PM

Ohh I see, I think it's just the way this site handles links https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670504

This link SHOULD work

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

See also https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2642357/en-us .

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

In your initial post you describe the absence of drive letters for the card reader, not a missing icon.

Have you tried changing the drive letter for the card reader?

Type diskmgmt in the search box and press Enter.

When Disk Management opens right click on the card reader and click on Change drive letter.  Assign a drive letter, then click on OK.  This letter should stay until you either change it or remove it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users