Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Registry - Similar to Win 7,8?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

I have a couple of questions about the Win 10's Registry for the Beta members that have been running Win 10 for a while.

Is the Win 10 Registry construct similar to Win 7,8?  I have a couple of specific examples that perhaps someone can help provide information about these 2 questions.

- Unattended Sleep Timeout key (introduced with Vista).  Since the default timeout is 120 seconds, I changed that to prevent the PC from returning to Standby when it's running unattended overnight AV & MBAM scans.

Is this option still available in Win 10?   With Win 7 > Control Panel > Power Options > Change when the computer sleeps > change advanced power settings, here's a screencap that illustrates my question:

2zpo8bq.jpg

The corresponding Registry Key is here in Win 7.  Path is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0\DefaultPowerSchemeValues

Power Options:

Registry Key                                               Power Plan

381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e     Balanced
8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c   High performance
a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a   Power saver

34spkxh.jpg

The other question pertains to the alt-tab order.  For keyboard nerds like me :lol:, this is one that I use many times daily.  When I installed Win 7 back in 2010, I added this dword to revert the alt-tab order to the way it worked with XP & Vista.  Win 7 changed how this worked and I preferred the previous operation mode for alt-tab.

I added this dword to the following Registry location.  Path is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>> Software>> Microsoft>> Windows>> CurrentVersion>> Explorer

5a2owp.jpg

I'm wondering if the Explorer path is the same with Win 10 and if I could add the same "AltTabSettings" dword in the same location.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

The registry is similar when discussing it in generalities.  When it comes down to the specifics that you mention, there's no telling unless you experiment with it.

For example, we have found that the power settings aren't necessarily all the same across each version of Windows and that other tools are better suited for this.

A friend has made a batch file (at work, so I'm not free to share it here) to update power settings.  It uses both registry entries and powercfg commands at the command prompt.  This makes it easier to apply and it works across many different versions of Windows (we've tested it from Vista to 10).  We were unable to make it work with just registry settings, so I presume that there's a bit of a difference in how power settings are handled from version to version.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info :).  If I decide on installing Win 10 during the free upgrade period, I'll try the tweeks out to see what happens (Cloning, Imaging, before any edits, naturally :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users