Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

I was looking into upgrading my RAM, and seen as i'm not an expert i was wondering if someone could tell me if my motherboard etc is viable for an upgrade to 8GB of ram? As my machine is quite slow with 3GB. Here are my specs: http://www.imagebam.com/image/9dab11413502457

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

Most Likely you have 4 GB of Ram installed and the system is taking about 1GB for itself.  According to THIS spec sheet.  You are not able to upgrade to 8GB of ram as the motherboard does not support it.

#3 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

Thought that would be the case tbh. Might need to shop around to see if i can get a cheap motherboard.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

If you have an OEM version of Windows you need to be aware that MS will consider a change of mobo as a change of computer and you may have problems authenticating the new install. It will almost certainly involve you in a - free - phonecall to MS and in you trying to convince them that the change of mobo is a repair and not an upgrade.

Of course if you have a 'retail' version this problem will not arise, but you do need to factor this into your thinking !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users