Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not start, caps-lock continuously blinks, F12 stays amber

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LIOTB

LIOTB

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

Hello everyone of BC,

Thank you ahead of time for your time and efforts!

WHAT:

HP Envy dv6-7245 (AMD A10, 6GB-RAM (2 and a 4 stick) can't start so I don't know what else is in it)

THE STORY:

Cleaned a fan for my friend.s computer, now it was not working. I had anti-static bracelet. The computer was acting slow. My friend did have issues with a black screen over a year ago, but HP support was able to help get it back running with some key strokes. I think my friend overheat the laptop and they reset it. The laptop is a refurbish to begin with and has two sticks of ram from different sources and different densities (2GB and 4GB). I don't think HP even really checked it. Now all it does is blink at me constantly from the caps-lock continuously without pause with one second in-between. And the F12 stays amber. The fan starts. 

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

Hard reset (unplug and hold power), cleared CMOS, switched around RAM, started holding F2 and F10, sid the windows and "B", cleaned the fan/heat-sink, applied new thermal paste, And when I checked the hard drive in another computer I used gparted where it said the hard drive was in hibernate and there was another partition that was not accessible with no name (the other partitions were recovery, boot, or main). At that time I used MINI-XP where I could access the main partition to check the user documents and desktop. Put another hard drive in (mine) into my friend's computer, it would not post. The only thing I have not done was re-float the board.

QUESTIONS:

What do I do? Will not post and the blink code says it's a CPU error. Is it the board or the CPU or both?

Again thank you!

LIOTB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

The only way to tell for sure if it is the cpu or the board is to take out the cpu and put it in a known working motherboard.  I am leaning towards the CPU since the board seems to be telling you that it is the cpu .. if it was the board I suspect it wouldn't do much of anything at all.  When you pull the CPU .. you can double check for missing or bent pins, but the only way to be sure is to check the processor in a known good working motherboard.

#3 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

The only way to tell for sure if it is the cpu or the board is to take out the cpu and put it in a known working motherboard.  I am leaning towards the CPU since the board seems to be telling you that it is the cpu .. if it was the board I suspect it wouldn't do much of anything at all.  When you pull the CPU .. you can double check for missing or bent pins, but the only way to be sure is to check the processor in a known good working motherboard.

Hello YeahBleeping,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. That was one of the next steps, I have been looking for a board. When I talked with HP they said it was most likely the board. 

Thank you!

LIOTB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users