Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Get WiFi or Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gailk

gailk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hi,

I have an ATT Unite card and I have not been able to connect my HP desktop to the internet for several days.  I'm not getting the WiFi connection as before.  My laptop also uses the card and it is working fine. 

When I go to the Network & Sharing Center and troubleshoot the internet connections I get a message saying that 'problem found: a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken'. I don't have a network cable.

Under Networking & Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings> the Local Area Connection has a red X. What does this mean and how can I get my computer to recognize the ATT Unite card again?

Under Device Manager>Network Adapters> only Realtek PCIc GBE Family Controller is showing.

I have not tried the HP Support Center yet to see if I can download something to fix this problem because I don't really know what to look for.

Please help me.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 03 June 2015 - 08:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 roggiec77

roggiec77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

Your desktop will need a wireless NIC to connect to the ATT card.  Just curious, if your desktop is wired, why do you want it on wireless?

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

" I have an ATT Unite card and I have not been able to connect my HP desktop to the internet for several days"

"I don't have a network cable"

--- Just to verify: this means your desktop computer was working in good order wirelessly

A couple of things to consider

--- Can you think of anything that has happened to this computer over that time period?

--- Do a system restore back to a time when you were ok

#4 gailk

gailk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Thank you for your help.  I didn't have a wireless NIC when I was getting my desktop to connect.  The only internet connection I've had for over a year is through my ATT Unite card and that is wireless.  My desktop is wired I guess, but now I've lost the WiFi.

#5 gailk

gailk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

The desktop has been running really slow for a while now.  Closing out programs very slowly or stalling altogether.  Not working like it did a few months ago.

I haven't tried a system restore yet, but thayt might work.  I'll try that now. 

Thank you for your help.

#6 gailk

gailk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

I was not getting an Internet Connection since about midnight Wednesday, 5/27.  My computer was turned off until Monday, 6/1. 

The System Restore points show that I got a Type: Critical Windows Update on 5/25 and a Type: Install Windows Update on 5/28.

Could one of these updates be causing the problem with the Internet connection?  If so, should I restore to the 5/25 point or a 5/20 point?

Thank you.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

I suspect you are using an Ethernet cable on the desktop and the real issue is a slower than slow computer

--- As already stated you need a "wireless NIC to connect to the ATT card"

--- A wireless USB adapter would do

However I would continue to run wired for the time being

--- Run your AV & anti-spyware programs in full scan and see if any infections are found

Edit: I just saw your recent post

"If so, should I restore to the 5/25 point or a 5/20 point?"

If you know the computer was running fine on the 20th, I would try it

But please verify whether or not you are running wired with an Ethernet cable

Edited by cmptrgy, 03 June 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#8 gailk

gailk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

OK, this is going to be a stupid question on my part, but what do you mean by 'running wired with an Ethernet cable'?  My computer is wired (plugged in).  There is nothing plugged into the Ethernet section in the back of my computer. 

I just did another Troubleshoot problems for Internet Connections and the message 'plug an Ethernet cable into this computer' came up.  I'm really confused about what this means because I've never had an Ethernet cable plugged into my computer.

Would running a Minitoolbox test and posting the results help?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

"I've never had an Ethernet cable plugged into my computer."

Even though that is the case, if you cannot connect to the internet at this point it would be a good idea to use an Ethernet cable so you can get online to run the programs being requested

I understand what you mean now " My computer is wired (plugged in)."

--- That usually means that the computer is powered on

Wired, or hard wired usually means the computer is connected to an access point (modem/router) by an Ethernet cable

BTW, don't be afraid to ask a "stupid question"

--- The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked and I can relate to that

#11 Kurttb1

Kurttb1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

Stupid Question...   I cannot get my wifi adapter to connect today;  computer was on all night scanning with Norton ..in fact it is still scanning... AND it will not connect to the internet I went to (device manager) to check and see if the adapter was there (Yes) so I was going to disable and reconnect but -device manager would not disable the adapter and in fact froze up and stopped responding so I had to go to task manager and end the program

#12 Kurttb1

Kurttb1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:47 AM

Ended up trying to use system restore which did not work so I used Acronis 2016 to restore my C partition which worked great ... I'm amazed,  anyway back on track and everything working aok

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users