Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Laptop - Keyboard stopped working - Desktop Icons and files disappear!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:21 AM

Hi Guys,

Have a real strange issue here...

I have an Asus X55A Laptop running windows 8 and my keyboard suddenly went crazy! It started adding random characters when typing or added spaces between each letter! 

I was able to try a restart using ALT+F4 but it would then not let me type anything into my password box. I wasnt able to cursor over the on-screen keyboard function.

I eventually got logged on by using a USB keyboard and Mouse which work fine. Still getting spaces between letters when I type.

Even stranger...when I click on ANY desktop item it will simply vanish! I used msconfig to get a safe mode with networking boot. When I click on an icon then a dialog box saying 'Item Not Found' and then something about file transfer - try again or cancel. If I select cancel the icon will vanish.

Even selecting items in folders will disappear. 

I am assuming this a virus and any help at all will be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ndonaldson2912

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

Try a system Refresh (if possible).

Open up Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery. Then under "Refresh your PC without affecting your files," click the Get started button.

If you still can't do that, start a topic over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Edited by usasma, 03 June 2015 - 06:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for your quick response John, I will give that a try

#4 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

Tried a system restore from several points and all failed. Tried a system refresh, which successfully completed, however problem still exists. The laptop keyboard does not function, can only type using a usb keyboard. Once I select any desktop icons -  i find the message:

3 interrupted actions

This is no longer located in C:\Users\Public Desktop.
Verify the items location and try again.

Any action taken, whether, try again, skip or cancel, will all lead to the icon being deleted.....

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

Start a topic over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

If that doesn't fix things, then post back here and we'll work on other steps (such as backing up your data and performing a system Reset).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

Still nothing on the forum regarding this issue. Is it a case I will just have to reinstall OS?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:57 AM

The malware people are very busy.  The 4th pinned topic is an area to post in if you haven't received help after 3 days.

Should you choose to wipe the system clean and reinstall Windows (with or without a backup first).  Then please let us know and we'll give instructions on getting started (here's the canned speech that I use: 

#8 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

I think the only option, if the malware guys cant help, is to reinstall. It would be great if you guys could help me with instructions.

I can't see the Windows key on the underside of the laptop. Does it be somewhere else?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

Sorry, had a brain cramp and forgot to put in the link:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html

But, it's not real specific for Win8 or 8.1

The critical thing is backing up your data, as a reset will wipe it all off the system.

For Win8/8.1 I'd use the Reset option (it's next to the Refresh in the Settings app).

On Win8 systems the product key is installed inside the system - so there's no visible Windows product key.

On older versions I saw it under the battery on a few systems (can't recall which at this time) - but haven't seen one in a long, long time.

#10 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Guys, after a reset the keyboard still doesn't work. I downloaded the passmark program and it doesn't detect any life. I restarted the laptop and after a long configuration update, the laptop was back doing what it initially was. Every time I click an icon or file it puts it into the recycle bin. Can get it back by restoring them but problem is still there. Tried posting my problem in other sections of the forum but getting no replies. Any ideas? I don't want to order a new keyboard if the problem might still be software related...

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

To rule out the hardware issue download Puppy Linux here. Burn the iso file on another computer or you can create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus. In order to boot the disk or USB flash drive disable SecureBoot in UEFI and also Quickboot/Fastboot if it is enabled. After booting to the Puppy Desktop open the write program and see if you can use the keyboard.

I am not sure but I think Esc at boot will get you the boot menu option on an ASUS.

#12 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

Guys, after getting rkill to run, I ran both malwarebytes and combofix and neither found anything that was able to solve my problems. What is going on??!!

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:25 PM

Backup your data, then follow these instructions to Reset your system:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

#14 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

I have reset my system. And it still continues to do the same...

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Most likely a hardware problem then.

Do you have a warranty, or are you able to replace the keyboard yourself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users