Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop is on its last legs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drewman19

drewman19

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:01 AM

I have a an alienware m15x laptop and while it was pretty good when i got it, it is pretty much done for and the fact it being a laptop really limits my options on upgrade it. i got this laptop not just for gaming but for school as well but ive burned out 2 different brand new batteries. But i want to get a new laptop not just for school but for gaming as well. 

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop

My budget for the new computer is: i was thinking under $2000 but i might be able to afford a bit over

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Gaming, streaming video(netflix, amazon prime ect.)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Steam, microsoft office just basic stuff

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? i play a lot of games on steam the ones i want to try out is mainly ARK and elite dangerous

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
um i tend not to run to many things at the same time but the ability to do so would be nice
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? um i normally use pandora or spotify and i use a few pictures

Will you be overclocking? um i dont really know what that means other than its something to do with RAM?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? um i would probably order it online idk where from maybe some recommendations?

How many monitors are you planning to use? probably just the laptop by itself i dont have a lot space but i do have a tv that could be used as an extra monitor

Do you need peripherals? OS? idk what peripherals are/is? um i honestly dont like windows 8 that much but maybe i just need to try it out more and windows 10 is coming out soon anyway

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? my current laptop is dieing

i would like to get something that could stay useable for awhile so i was hoping for something with 16gigs of ram probably a terabyte hardrive and probably a quad core i7 processor and hopefully be in my price range. i was thinking about staying with alienware and getting the 17 but idk maybe i can get something comprable for less

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drewman19

drewman19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

So I've done some more research and my choices in what i want really seem to be limited to Asus which i know is pretty good i few of my friends have a few different models of asus laptops, alienware which i already know i kind of like but dont know if its worth paying extra for basically the same tech, MSI which i honestly know next to nothing about and CybertronPC which i know even less about and even though the other three brands are the cheaper options i think the saying you get what you pay for stands true at least a little.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

MSI have been making motherboards for YEARS ASUS and MSI basically got into the laptop biz at about the same time 9 or 10 years ago I think?

If I were to buy a laptop I would probably go to xoticpc.com since they have many brands to choose from and even more options to add/subtract.  Maybe if you pick out a few laptops you have your eye on we can critique your selection.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

This seems to fit your needs pretty well; read the customers' reviews. My son had an equivalent Acer from 4 years ago and he never had any problems with it; he runs pro tools (audio capture and editing for his band group) and Photoshop plus other heavy duty programs. I will say that if you are going to be carting this around every day from school to home, etc., it's going to be big and heavy. My son usually left it at home and occasionally took it somewhere. Note they have an SSD drive for your boot system, so it's fast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314853

[EDIT]: afterthought.... Newegg gives you 30 days from delivery; if there is any problem with it they will replace it with new, or refund your money.

Just call their customer service.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 June 2015 - 05:18 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 drewman19

drewman19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:30 AM

Well I was looking at a few and for the most part the only questions I have is what brand of extra ram I should buy if any, do I really need to do the cooling upgrades because I problem I had with my Alienware was it getting to hot, and I really want this thing to stay competitive for years to come so what graphics card or dual graphics cards do you guys recommend

Edited by drewman19, 05 June 2015 - 01:58 AM.

#6 drewman19

drewman19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:32 AM

To ranch hand, that looks pretty good and weight isn't a issue for me I can carry it in my old Alienware bag but I don't think that's quite what I'm looking for, but Ty for the suggestion

#7 drewman19

drewman19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:01 AM

Update- after juggling a few things around I might be able to afford up into the 3000$ range of things which gets me into machines with an insane amount of ram for laptops 24-32 gigs, and I was looking around on eBay and a few other places and my old computer might be worth trying to sell, I don't know it's specs right off the top of my head(I left it with my roommate) but I know it has at least 4 gigs of ram with maybe one or dual 260m graphics cards I know the processor/s are i7s not sure on the model/s and its windows score is at like 5.9 on two things and like 6.9 on some around 6.0 and up on most things. It's taken its far share of abuse though. Some of the keys don't work but an external keyboard works fine, the disk drive seems to be out of order as well, the battery on it is currently burned out due to how hot it gets by itself and running it in the desert heat without proper cooling, but mostly I don't even know what it's worth. I looked on eBay and found some similar but nothing quite the same. I figure it might be a fixer upper for somebody or something a new gamer could use it will a lot of games surprisingly for how old it is but I tend to run things on lower graphics to get better frames and less lag.

Edited by drewman19, 05 June 2015 - 06:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users