Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes, random, no warning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 C.Fullard

C.Fullard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:08 AM

Hello everyone and thank you for your time.

So I am running a fairly new PC which I took a lot of pride in when I picked it up. It's run flawlessly for the entire time I have had it until recently. The issue revolves around completely random and without warning PC shutdowns that have no errors or anything involved with them. The times can be at random, the situation can be at random, the scenario can be at random.

I mean, I know how vague this sounds but I have been pulling my hair out over this. The PC can run for any amount of time, from a few seconds to almost the entire day and then will just shut itself off. Like, prior to me even coming TO this forum it dumped me. Twice. Once after almost eight plus hours of being on and then after 30 seconds. It's on for more then a few minutes now, knock on wood, so... I don't know.

The PC isn't running hot and the video card isn't running hot at all so it's not a temperature issue I know that. I thought it might have been my surge protector because THAT was fairly old, and reliable, but i've changed to a completely new one and it's still doing it.

DXdiag is attached to this if anyone wants to look through it. Any help can and will be appreciated but expect replies from me to be somewhat slow as i'm in and out to work.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

Hello C.Fullard, and welcome, 

Sorry to hear about your trouble, sounds quite frustrating. However, if there's no blue screen error, any overheat issue or other warnings, it would be quite hard to tell what's going on from a distance. You will need to experiment... 

First of all check all of the internal connections (mainly the power cables from your PSU), if still the same situation - try a different PSU unit as this is the most likely culprit.  If the problem was in any of the other hardware components there would have been a dump of error of some sort. Also check the power button, it can sometimes get stuck and shut off the PC with the slightest vibration. 

And one more advice - backup all of your data, especially if you only have one HDD. Sudden power cuts may lead to data loss and even hard drive failure, so - make sure your data is safe before trying to use the PC any  further. 

If you try my advice to no avail - let me know, I'll try to give further advice. Citizen_WD

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hello C.Fullard, and welcome to BC, I see this is your first post.

First, is this unit still under warranty? If so, that is where you should start. Don't allow your warranty to expire while trying to "fix" it yourself.

You said:

The PC isn't running hot and the video card isn't running hot at all

How do you know it isn't running hot? Do you have an installed monitor that give temp readouts? If you do not, download Open Hardware (free) from HERE. Boot it, and leave it running in your system tray. You will see your CPU listed, and under that about half way down your video card. Note the temps on both and check them occasionally. Then post back with that information.

Next, test your memory. I don't think that is the problem, but it never hurts to make sure.

> Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

> Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.

> Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If you have multiple sticks of memory, and if you know how to remove and reinsert them, test only one (1) stick at a time. Otherwise just run the program.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, your computer may have other problems than your memory.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 C.Fullard

C.Fullard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hello all, and thank you for the responses. Seeing as this is the first PC i've actually did major extensive repairs on let me ask a stupid question. Is it possible that this entire situation revolves around the power chord not giving enough power to the PC? I replaced that and it seems to have completely stopped the issue.... for now. So, is there a chance that the power supply simply was not getting enough power to run the PC and shutting itself down to keep from hardware problems?

Citizen_WD: On your words, I also thought it may be the power supply, so I completely replaced it and checked my video card to ensure I was getting the proper wattage. Apparently Tigerdirect gave me the wrong one... so going to see if replacing it and the chord have any bearing on this.

Update : Still shutting down on me. I have replaced the power chord, the power supply unit and I have a core temp program running on my second monitor. Going to let the core temp run to see if that gives me any clues.

Edited by C.Fullard, 09 June 2015 - 09:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users