Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome not letting us open Bookmarks Manager

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

Help me make Google Chrome OPEN the Bookmarks Manager.  I have already gone through the menu, Bookmarks, Bookmark manager, but only a blank white page appears.  Nothing else.  The address shown in the browser text bar field is "chrome://bookmarks" .

If the bookmark manager cannot open and show itself, then managing the bookmarks is impossible.  HELP!

Windows 7, Google Chrome  43.0.2357.81 m

I already tried with ABP turned off, and the same problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dungpt29

dungpt29

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:50 AM

Note that Google Chrome provides a button next to minimize, maximize and close buttons. This button is used to sign in using the Google account and the browser uses it to manage the bookmarks and other things.

You must sign in using your Google account and then the Bookmark Manager will return to normal.

Edited by dungpt29, 03 June 2015 - 03:08 AM.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:40 AM

Why should signing in to a google account be necessary in order to open the bookmarks manager?  Doing so has never been necessary.  The bookmarks have nothing to do with a google account.  I do have a google account, but I never have needed any such account to use the bookmarks manager in the browser.  Why should doing so been needed now?  What if I had no google account?  Would I then need to sign up for a google account to use the bookmarks system normally?

Somebody -  What is this?  How can I make the Bookmarks Manager of google chrome open properly and show me the Manager?

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:47 PM

This article may be of use:
http://www.omgchrome.com/disable-chromes-new-bookmark-manager/
Since I don't use chrome, I can't verify if it works or not.

#5 rp101

rp101

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:39 AM

Not clear if this is related, but google have installed "double authentication" over past week & it is messing with a lot of software that goes via google. Thus I use gmail within Mozilla Thunderbird, & everytime I open TB I now get a request to login to "google contacts". I can just cancel (ie no need to actually log in) but needless to say, an absolute pain in nether region. Sounds to me like the buggy "security fix" of google - see also "irritating google pop up ..." posted yesterday. If Bookmarks manager is an add-on, disable (not very helpful), use Firefox instead, & COMPLAIN TO GOOGLE. Good luck R

Edited by rp101, 04 June 2015 - 01:40 AM.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:17 AM

This article may be of use:
http://www.omgchrome.com/disable-chromes-new-bookmark-manager/
Since I don't use chrome, I can't verify if it works or not.

That method worked.  Thanks!

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

You're welcome, and thank you for letting us know what worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users