Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older sluggish laptop playing video on it's own!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Novite

Novite

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

Hi,

Have an older HP Pavilion, rarely used but always seems to be working harder than it should have to when I do use it. I assumed it's just old and painfully slow.

It is connected to an external monitor which I switched off and just left it running assuming updates or system scan had the hard drive working for several hours offline.

Got fed up, turned on the monitor and there is video playing full screen. Hit escape to get out of full screen and the video just stops. No player running and hard drive still working.

Defender did not run a scan and neither did Avira. Not sure if it was defraging but still no explanation for the video playing.

Any ideas as to what's happening here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Was the video an advertisement of some kind?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 Novite

Novite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

No, it was a media file. I've got myself convinced I must have started it somehow as there is a row of sensitive quick play buttons on this Pavilion. Just can't explain why it didn't revert to the media player from full screen when I hit escape. 

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

Yes, that touch sensitive strip of buttons can be surprising :)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users