Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nails

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

Hello. I am stolen. I am an artist.

I have certain addictions and creative outlets.

The most recent creative outlet I have is nail art.

It may seem crude. You might think, who would even do this or spend time or money on nails?

Not me. I won’t pay a dime for something that I can do better.

I used to get pedicures and manicures. It was awesome, but I got bored and wanted to branch out and not just have the standard solid colors. I realized soon that when I asked the manicure chicks for a simple flower or more intricate designs, and I even showed them an example of what I wanted, they went up on their prices…and up …and up…..

I was done.

And I began to create my own, and I found it was very enjoyable. And I inspire other people who see my nails.

One girl last night had lots of questions. She noticed my nails and my toes. She said, “You’re toes are so colorful!” and “OMG, your nails! Where do you get this done? How long did it take?”

I said, “Thank you. It’s all hand painted. I do it myself.”

She had questions such as, “How long does it last??”

“Only a week or less. I don’t want it to last longer. There are too many designs I want to do, So I have to let it all go by Friday and start over on Sunday.”

That’s just like everything in life, right?

You have to let it all go on Friday and start over on Sunday : )
stolen-nails-may-31-2015.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

Quite lovely!! Really ..nice work!!

2 questions are you ambidextrous

and do you do your feet with your feet LOL ??
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

@Stolen

It's Friday!  Might you be sharing your new nail art for this next week in June!

I am so amazed as to how you can create these floral pictures on your nails, when you only have

one hand at a time doing all of the work!

Congratulations on your artistic wonderfulness!  :flowers:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

You have to let it all go on Friday and start over on Sunday : )

It's Friday! So we should see something new on Sunday? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

You are one talented lady. I so won't be getting into any, "I can do XYZ with one hand tied behind my back" contests with you.

You have already proven you can do things with 'one hand tied behind your back' so to speak. :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Oh dear Animal..can you give a a bit of a hint? (LOL)   :hysterical:  BTW..great song to go along with her line!!!

#6 Stolen

Stolen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

awwww you guys!!! *blushes* 

Got to Friday. and THAT was an accomplishment << getting to Friday, that is

Here's the latest, and just for you, softeyes :)

what do you think these look like? 

photo-2.jpg

It's funny, I am trying to just use different lighting and find the best lighting to show off the nails. So, it's weird but depending on if I take the pic out in the bright sunlight or under a spot inside, the colors show up differently, and I am experimenting with the right way to do it. The colors are painted with watercolor. The outlines are done with a fine tip black sharpie, and in real life, the lines all show up very black, but in the photos here, I think the lines look purple to me! LOL or maybe it's my display, who knows...

Not that there is a single thing wrong with purple!

ok one more...

photo-%2829%29.jpg

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

My wife is truly impressed, she says they are gorgeous - but you obviously have too much time on your hands at the week-end !

The different apparent shades in photos is almost certainly down to 'colour temperature' or balance, different types of lighting have different mixes of light frequencies in them and varying intensities. You will find that under a spot light the light is much 'warmer' in appearance, the balance is towards the red and yellow end of the spectrum. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Stolen

Stolen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:47 PM

Awwww Chris. Give your Mrs. a big stolen hug for me!

In truth, I have no time. I mean NO time. But sipping a nice glass of wine or grabbing a couple o good beers on Sunday and working on my nails is something I look forward to and one way of having down time, cuz honestly it makes me happy to look at them all week long!

So, I was in the middle of the latest version yesterday when my cell phone rang. It was one of the VPs I work for in the UK. I say, “helloooo” in my best Texas drawl (which is real lol) and she tells me what she needs in her best South African/Brit accent. And I'm thinking, "What was that again??" but instead, I say, “OMG, the meeting was cancelled????” She says something I barely make out. And I say, “Okay, yeah, no problem. I’ll take care of it, and oh...by the way...if you emailed me about this, I overlooked it because I AM DOING MY NAILS."

She says, “Oh that’s wonderful!!!” 

And I say, “Ok listen. This is a 3-hour process”

And I don’t think she caught that part. hehe...it could be my accent. I'm gonna take the high road here.... :)

Thank you for the insight on the lighting. I need to find a way to make them look really good because this might just need to be all official and such LOL, but of course I am just doing the lazy thing and taking the pics with my iPhone. I have a little Canon digital camera but it’s not as easy to take the pics and then email them to myself from the iphone when I use my little camera.

So, back to the technicalities, this design was done using white as a base coat, then artist watercolors. The key to using watercolors in nail polish is applying a matte top coat to the white base and letting it dry. Then the watercolors will stick. I painted on all the different watercolors and then took a fine tip Sharpie marker and hand drew the black outlines. The black is …how do I say…not perfect…which is what I want. Meaning it is hand drawn and hand made, and it should not be perfect.

I asked a guy in the office today what it reminded him of? He said, “Music.”

Another guy yesterday said, “Butterfly wings”

Thank you, Chris, and everyone else too, for stopping by :)

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

Stained Glass. Thats what it reminds me of.

Beautifully done, and yeah this can be "a thing".

Can you upload pictures to the cloud, with the iphone?

I'm trying to be helpful here... You can tell right?

So if this does become 'a thing' are you expecting I remind you with an appropriate youtube song link every Friday?

Just checking on what we as a group need to do to keep you motivated to provide us with your weekly artistic renderings.

Thank you for sharing some of yourself with us all Stolen. :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

@Stolen joyfilled I am as I sit dazed by your nails!  My vote is you have created a stain-glass butterfly!  There are two fingers side-by-side that you have done and at first I thought it was a lady bug!  Then..oh yes..then a monarch butterfly came to mind!

Stolen, I simply can't imagine you handling all of your artistic equipment with a beverage, all at the same time!  Yikeeees, next you'll say you accomplish this while in a yoga position!

Real art to me must have a play on light!  That's what makes it 'real' and not computerized imagery!

I would love to see you do a play on the Grand Canyon at sunset!! (Yummy purples, oranges and yellows (maybe a sneaky little owl)

@Animal, your last song went wonderfully with the theme!  Bring it!

#11 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 480 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:58 AM

Oooh! Beautiful nail art! Bravissima!

Edited by Automatic Suzy, 17 June 2015 - 02:59 AM.

#12 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

@Stolen

Will you be creating "4th of July" nails!  I sure hope so..and would love a picture! 

tumblr_m6hyoganmw1rn1hfio1_250_zpsilx5zm

#13 Stolen

Stolen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Hi everyone!! I have been both busy and ill lately but still doing nails as it is so much fun. 

Softeyes...absolutely. This red, white and blue design was quite random and different on each finger, but totally Fun and Fit the Fourth! 

photo_3.jpg

I am playing around with Gimp to make a little watermark for my nails. I curved it around one of the nails but then somehow undid that LOL 

Today, more blue...so pretty New Blue with real silver leaf, again all fingers are different, it looks really cool in real.  

I wish I could figure out how to take a nice pic of both hands together...using only one ;) 

blue_nails_silver_leaf_with_watermark.jp

#14 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

@Stolen! I'm so glad you returned with new art!  No doubt that the silver leaf on that color blue is dynamite!

If you have a cell phone that takes pictures, perhaps you could use the "self-timer" feature to take a snap of both hands?

In this last pic. do you have a rose resting above your hand?  It's so pretty!

#15 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:39 AM

Hi Stolen,

How to photograph both hands:
1) Set a pair of gloves on the table in the position your hands will be.
2) Mount your camera on a small desk-top tripod (cheap and easy to find in camera shops) or just sit it on something like a bean bag in front of the gloves.
3) Carefully set focus.
4) Set the timer on the camera to fire the shutter at, say, 10 seconds.
5) Quickly replace the gloves with your hands and lovely painted nails and just wait for the shutter to fire! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users