Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIRUS BLOCKS FACTORY SETTING RESTORE?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paig3rich

paig3rich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

I downloaded a file I thought was safe, in hindsight I don't think I should have. 

After I downloaded it, a pop up would appear but disappear before I saw any content or could figure out what it was, it happened a couple of times a minute. 

I can't see any other problems it caused lke slowing down my laptop or anything, but I thought I would do a system restore to factory settings just in case. However, it says "could not find the recovery environment" (i have windows 8.1) and I don't know how to solve this. I downloaded Malwarebytes anti-malware and it found no problem, I'm currently running a microsoft safety scanner and doing a full check too which I suspect will take a while! 

I assume because of the recovery problem, I have a virus. I'm not computer genuis if you hadn't already guessed and I don't know how to solve that issue. 

Any offers? (in nice, easy non-technological language for a simpleton like myself?) 

The online guides I saw mentioned things about external drives or disks of some kind, I have neither.

------------------------

Update: microsoft scanner didn't find anything either but I still can't reset to factory settings or to a restore point. I get error error-0x80070005 when I try to restore. 

The file was iFunbox which is a backup for things like iPhone apps,etc, but I think the site I got it from was a fake and infected my laptop as some other users found a virus too. I'm entirely out of ideas and I don't know what to do anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:49 AM

Make and model of the system?

It seems that you've tried the PC manufacturer's restore mechanism (where you stated "system restore to factory settings") and the Microsoft "Reset" (the big blue boxes when you boot into recovery).  Is this so?

If that's the case, the easiest "fix" is to purchase a set of recovery disks or a recovery drive from the PC manufacturer.  It's cheaper than a copy of Windows and will include all the drivers needed to get the system up and running.  Here's a link (it's an older page, but it'll give you a starting point):  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users