Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anything more in-depth than task manager?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

My aunt's laptop is locking up, and running really slow. First thing I did was ctrl+alt+del to go to task manager. Sure enough, something is periodically running the CPU at 90% to 100%.

The problem is, it's not showing me the actual process that is doing it. Aligning processes by CPU usage puts task manager at about 5 to 20 percent. And everything else at 0 to 1 percent. So how is the total reported CPU at 100 percent?

I can only imagine there is some sort of hidden process?

Is there something trusted that can more accurately report the process that is running up the CPU on a win7 computer?

And yes, google is my friend, and will give me a hundred "better than task manager" free programs. But I won't know which is legit and which is some spyware/trojan/scam. So if anyone knows of a trusted software that isn't going to infect my computer. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

You can use Sysinternals' Process Explorer or Process Hacker.

Personally I use Process Explorer and monitors CPU and memory use via the built-in graph.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

Total reported CPU includes System Idle Process...which is a misnomer, since it represents lack of activity by the system.  It's the MS way of saying that you have this percentage of your system resources that are not being taxed, at the moment.  Generally, the higher the number for System Idle, the more resources you have available in your system...that are not being used, which is a good thing.

Is that included in your list you review via Task Manager?

I don't monitor my system much and Task Manager is fine for me...but the utilities mentioned by Alex are probably the two I've seen mentioned most by those who do monitor heavily.

Louis

Should have asked this before...but what are you looking at for your total reported CPU usage?

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

In task manager under performance on the lower left click Resource Monitor, you can see what is eating what.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

Obviously you have an issue that may some work finding, IMO start another post in the appropriate section to get some help.  Post your system specs and a brief description of the problem.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Alternative Replacements for Windows Task Manager:- AnVir TaskManager Free will allow you to replace Windows Task Manager under Options > Properties.
- System Explorer will allow you to set it as the default Task Manager under Options > General tab.
- Process Explorer will allow you to replace Task Manager under Options.
- Process Hacker will allow you to replace Task Manager under Options > Advanced tab.
- MiTeC Task Manager will allow you to replace Task Manager by clicking the Task Manager Deluxe drop down box at the top.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

To see everything you might have to press the botton left button/checkbox 'show all users', and now that will include system users system, local service, network service. From there you can click on the service to highlight it, then right click and choose 'go to services'. The task manager will now switch to the 'services' tab, but it will still be highlighting the service that was highlighted in the previous window. That will reveal the service and the pid. Alternative programs are nice and show everything at once, but not necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users