Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone please explain VLAN and VPN

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

Hi All,

I'm here reading the N+ and we are currently going over topologies, VLAN, and VPN.

From my understanding, it kind of sounds like a VLAN is basically a HUGE LAN. Like I can be on the same network in texas as someone in Cali which would give me access to the shared folders etc..

But if that's the case why not just use a VPN, Which from my understanding would give me the ability to just log into a computer at that office in Cali remotely? 

Please someone help me make some sense out of this.

and once again, thanks in advanced for satisfying my nooby confusion.

-jerry

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

VLAN is a Virtual Local Area Network.  Normally your network switches are configured to control the VLAN.  You might have printers on one VLAN, phones on another VLAN, computers on a third VLAN, and another VLAN for imaging computers.  This allows you to put more physical equipment in a building and not run out of IP addresses since the network is segmented, or separate networks on the same equipment like a production, no Internet access, and a guest network.  I've also seen VLANs configured by building area, each wing has its own VLAN.

VPN is Virtual Private Network.  VPNs are normally used as remote access solutions.  However they can also be used to make it seem like your computer is in a different place.  I've used VPNs to watch blacked out sports events that I couldn't access locally, but with a VPN service it seemed like I was in Texas, out of the blacked out area.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

You don't use vlans over the internet but you do use vpns.

Vlans are a way via hardware to separate broadcast domains and/or separate groups of equipment for security reasons [you don't want clinical accessing financial for example]

Vlans can or cannot be used in tandem with ip subnetting

There are a number of flavors of vpns from services like Kilroy talks about to having client software and using that to connect securely over the internet to a corporate vpn router to then access the corp network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users