Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshade

Ravenshade

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

:thumbsup: Hey, quick ?? for the smarter than I's...

I Have a pent 4 (3 ghz) with 2 gigs of ram. I should be smoking fast but im not. I just do email, web, and autocad.

I think it could be spyware, this station hasnt always been mine... but i've run Adaware Se and remove a bunch of stuff, but still slow (opening files, searches, etc).

Anyway, i looked at my processes under Task Mnger, and found this big program i dont know about runnin in the background, called Rtvscan, under my user name,...

Could this be my problem?

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Raven

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:44 PM

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:12 AM

RTVSCAN.exe is Symantec's real time virus scan:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...ibrary/rtvscan/

You may wish to review a BC checklist of possible ways to improve your computer's speed BEFORE submitting a HJT log:

Slow computer troubleshooting checklist

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:57 AM

Though a fast processor is usually the root of all fast computers, sometimes other things can slow it down. How much RAM do you have on your computer?

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

Gyro, RAM amount is listing in the first post in this thread.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

woo I totally skimmed that wrong I apologize, does your computer run fast initially and then gradually slow down? If so then you might want to check if you have a file sharing program such as LimeWire, they cause ram leaks that could slow down your computer.

#7 Ravenshade

Ravenshade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

no, it boots slow, works slow, etc. could this possibly be the server at my work? i didnt think it could be, cause email and internet work great, just apps like word, and cad, just run slowly, for such good numbers...

everytime i run adaware SE i get like 20-30 things pop up, haha, it wasnt my comp. until last week, so I'll bet i got tons of spyware and malware.

im talking to the computer geek here and trying to get him to reinstall my hard drive (or can i just have it replaced?).

hmmm, still working on this one.

PS Unfortunately, i have alot going on, so the scan for Hijack this is gunna have to wait til this weekend for me to run it.

SIgh, the joys of computers.

Thanks for all the info and support friends!

Raven

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

I had a similar problem with my work computer, except that after starting up it would generally speed up. But when loading Windows, it would just creep along for 2-3 minutes after I logged on before the desktop loaded and I was able to do anything :thumbsup: .

It turned out that somehow myuser account on our local domain was set to run each of the dozen or so logon scripts that are used on our network (mapping certain folders on the server as network drives depending on the department and specific access needs. I had all the drives, but most were inaccessible because I didn't have access privledges :flowers: ). Once I figured that out, I contact the administrator and tore him several new holes :trumpet: .

Afterwhich, it greatly sped up. Could this be a part of the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users